Indigenous Australian Student Services (IASS)
Artwork by Indigenous Australian and SCU alumnus, Craig W. Little BVA
Indigenous Australian Student Services (IASS) provides a wide range of information, advice and support to Indigenous Australian students in a culturally appropriate, safe, friendly and supportive environment. IASS Officers located at each of our three campuses at Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast and Lismore provide support to on-campus students as well as supporting students studying online via distance education servicing all Indigenous Australian students studying at Southern Cross University (SCU). Indigenous Australian students studying via distance education are encouraged to contact IASS via email or telephone to access the services available to them.
The principle objective of IASS is to provide Indigenous Australian students with the services and support they need to gain access to, and succeed, in higher education. Some of the services offered by IASS include:
- the Testing and Assessment Program (T & A) which is an alternative entry pathway for Indigenous Australian applicants
- tutorial support via the Commonwealth Government's Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS)
- dedicated, complimentary computing facilities and tutorial space
- assistance in applications for scholarships (see Indigenous Australian Scholarships for information about available scholarships)
- assistance for Indigenous Australian students to attend compulsory placements (including intensive on-campus classes) as a core component of their course via the Centrelink administered Away From Base Scheme
- organisation of Indigenous Australian sporting, social and cultural events such as the National Indigenous Tertiary Student Education Games, orientation activities, graduation breakfasts and student BBQs
- community engagement and networking including support of visits by the Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience (AIME)
- support for SCU's Indigenous Events Coordinating Committee (SCUIECC), comprising staff, students and community, who organise both Sorry Day and NAIDOC Week activities at each SCU campus. If you are interested in joining SCUIECC please email them at: email@example.com
Indigenous Education Statement
- Southern Cross University's 2015 Indigenous Education Statement.
- Southern Cross University's 2014 Indigenous Education Statement.
Alternative Entry Pathway for Indigenous Australians
Testing and Assessment Program (T & A)
If you are an Indigenous Australian who has applied to study at SCU but have not yet been made an offer based solely on your application, there is an alternative entry scheme available. The Testing and Assessment Program allows you to sit an assessment task which will be assessed by an academic who will then discuss your options for University admission. This may include you receiving an offer into the course you have applied for or considering an alternative pathway into your preferred course. Alternative pathways may include the completion of the Preparing for Success Program or articulation via another course.
Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS)
View IASS staff resources for more tutor downloads (login required)
The Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme, better known as ITAS, is a Commonwealth Government initiative provided to support Indigenous Australian students studying at Tertiary Institutions including SCU.
Through this Scheme, SCU provides tutorial assistance to admitted and enrolled Indigenous Australian students with a qualified tutor to assist with:
- understanding course content
- researching skills
- developing assessments
- time management
- examination preparation
Eligible students (including students studying online via distance education) will be matched with face-to-face tutors wherever possible. Alternative tutoring arrangements are available where a face-to-face arrangement is not viable.
Contact Indigenous Australian Student Services:
Coffs Harbour: 02 6659 3796
Gold Coast: 07 5589 3010
Lismore: 02 6620 3377
Give us a call on our free call number 1800 769 763 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the many ways for IASS to support YOUR student success.