Phone, Skype and email counselling
- Counselling Service
- Counselling opening hours and appointment
- Counselling staff and contacts
- Out-of-hours crisis support line
- Online counselling resources
- Counselling links
- Wellbeing event and activities
All external students have access to the full range of counselling services. Professional counselling staff provide free and confidential assistance by telephone, Skype and email, including information, advice, referral and counselling for academic, personal and interpersonal issues.
Southern Cross University Counselling Service offers Skype counselling to current students who are studying externally. This service is a free and confidential service available to all external students who have access to Skype and feel they would benefit from medium-term counselling (2 or more sessions). Counselling appointments will be available:
How to access phone and Skype Counselling?
- Phone SCU Health Clinic reception at the campus closest to your current location to request an 'Initial assessment appointment' with phone/Skype counsellor:
- Lismore - 02 6626 9131
- Gold Coast - 07 5589 3252
- Coffs Harbour - 02 6659 3263
- Sydney - 02 8249 3227
- Melbourne - 03 9601 3400
- Complete Counselling Intake form and DASS form and email completed forms directly to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one business day before your appointment.
- In the initial telephone appointment the Counsellor will:
- Assess your suitability for phone/Skype counselling - students access to equipment and Skype software.
- Assess your psychological suitability for phone/Skype counselling. If not suitable student will be referred to other counselling options.
- Discuss guidelines and limitations of counselling.
Phone or Skype counselling is not a substitute for the medical treatment or crisis response for mental illness. One off consultations cannot be provided in this mode of delivery. Below are some:
24hr Emergency Phone Numbers
|SCU Out-of-Hours Crisis Support Line||1300 782 676|
|Lifeline||13 11 14|
|Suicide Call Back Service||1300 659 467|
|Mental Health Access Line||1800 011 511 (NSW)|
|Mental Health Information Line||1300 729 686 (QLD)|
|Domestic Violence Line||1800 811 811 or if in Sydney area 1800 656 463|
|Kids Help Line||1800 551 800|
Daytime counselling services are also available at the Lismore, Gold Coast and Coffs Harbour campuses. A Counselling Clinic operates from Lismore campus during semester, offering same-day appointments, by telephone or in person, Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm. Please contact the campus nearest to you.
There are some things you can do to take care of yourself while waiting for or in between appointments with the Counsellor. Below are some self-care strategies that you may find useful.
Physical self-care - eat regular and healthy meals, exercise, do something that you enjoy, get medical care if needed, get enough sleep, take a mini break, reduce alcohol and drug use, or get a massage.
Psychological self-care - write in a journal, make time for relaxation and reflection, be curious, say no to extra responsibilities, try something new, decrease stress in your life, read or watch movies that are thought provoking and recognise and acknowledge personal strengths. If you feel you are unable to be alone ask a friend to stay with you.
Emotional self-care - spend time with others who make you feel good, stay in touch with important people in your life, give yourself praise and affirmations, express your feeling in a safe way, find things that make you laugh, play with children or pets and don't be afraid of feelings and emotions-experience them as waves that come and go.
Spiritual self-care - spend time in nature, be open to inspirations, pray, meditate, sing, be open to not knowing, read inspirational books, reduce the influence of material things, turn off technology (telephones, TV, internet).
Study/Work self-care - take regular breaks, temporarily reduce workload, identify projects or goals that are exciting and rewarding, balance and plan workload so it doesn't feel too much, talk with others about what you need at the moment.