Career development resources for staff
Graduate career success is vital to the University.
The Career Development Service (CDS) seeks to work collaboratively with staff across the University to ensure students are equipped with essential skills for building career success.
The most effective career development strategies begin in first year and are progressively built upon throughout the entire degree. A staged approach to career development learning assists with student retention, motivation and graduate outcomes.
We can design presentations and resources specifically for your students and industry sectors and welcome your enquiries.
Guest lectures and presentations
- Career development and job search seminars in lectures. We can tailor a range of presentations for all years to assist students with self-awareness, opportunity awareness and job or internship search strategies, including mock interviews.
Email email@example.com and we will contact you to discuss your specific needs.
Online SCU Career Development Program
- Online careers program available to all students on MySCU (Blackboard) with 22 modules to assist with different career issues throughout their studies.
- Five streams include:
- University Preparation
- Career Preparation
- Career Management
- Graduate Careers and Internship Preparation
- Workplace Resilience
- See our Career Development and Employment brochure for an overview of module topics.
- Staff can direct students to complete specific modules and request a Certificate of Completion as part of an assessment or integrated course requirement. Alternatively you can encourage your students to complete different modules as extracurricular professional development.
- Staff can access the SCU Career Development Program. Once inside the site, you can self-enrol for permanent access by clicking on the '+' button (on the left-hand navigation panel). The SCU Career Development Program will then be available to access from your right-hand links on MySCU.
Other services and resources
- CareerHub - online careers board with employment and internship opportunities, and current events, useful career tips, news and advice.
- CareerHub - staff access available to advertise placement opportunities. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request training and access.
- Online self-assessment tools:
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), also referred to as the Type Dynamics Indicator Form O (can help with understanding preferences and how these relate to your strengths and possible areas for development)
- Career Interest Inventory to investigate job and career options
- Learning Styles Indicator (can help with becoming a more effective learner)
- Abstract Reasoning Skills
- Numerical Reasoning Skills
- Verbal Reasoning Skills
- Career FAQs industry books with over 40 industry-specific titles available online on the Career Development Program (Blackboard) and from the Library for loan.
- Career fact sheets on a range of topics:
- On-campus careers workshops on job search strategies, resumes and cover letters, selection criteria and interview preparation.
- Graduate Opportunities and UniGrad booklets. Email email@example.com for your copies.
- Careers appointments - refer current students, including enrolled Preparing for Success students to a 50-minute careers consultation.
- Personalised advice on job search and career planning
- Feedback on job or internship applications
- Assistance with interview preparation
- Free service for current students and recent graduates (up to 12 months)
- Students email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a phone or face-to-face appointment at the Coffs Harbour, Gold Coast or Lismore campuses.
- Careers appointments - for prospective students.
- Free 30-minute appointments for prospective students who may be uncertain of career options and degree choices.
- Email email@example.com with a contact number to request a phone or face-to-face appointment.