Strategic Plan: Goal 2
Goal 2: We will generate and disseminate research and undertake research training in key areas that have global and regional impact
Grow research income through the development of collaborative research enterprises with international, national and regional bodies
- Focus on improving the University's performance in winning national competitive grants, including joint applications.
- Target industry funding by further leveraging this investment through Co-operative Research Centre (CRC) bids, Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage project grants and industry-specific funding.
- Grow the size of externally funded research grants, with a focus on positioning a major national research entity at the University.
- Take advantage of emerging Commonwealth funding opportunities as they arise.
Improve the quality of research by increasing the number and quality of publications
- Provide opportunities for professional development and resources to facilitate publication in Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) ranked journals.
- Provide assistance for academic staff, early career researchers, doctoral candidates and graduates to develop quality publications.
- Establish and maintain an annual program of Professional Development activities aimed at directly increasing National Competitive Grants (NCG) applications, including joint applications.
- Improve the alignment of Special Studies Leave with research development goals.
- Improve the capture of publications data for reporting purposes.
Improve Higher Degree Research programs and processes, and increase on-time completion rates
- Recruit quality Higher Degree Research (HDR) students into identified research strengths of the University.
- Enhance the quality and range of doctoral degree programs.
- Improve retention and completion times for HDR students and continue to improve the quality of final theses.
- Enhance the intellectual climate for HDR students and improve student satisfaction with the HDR program.
- Provide opportunities for skills and knowledge enhancement of HDR students.
Increase our research capacity and productivity in areas of developing and existing research strengths
- Develop and implement a human capital development plan for research.
- Recruit excellent research staff at all levels of appointment.
- Appoint postdoctoral research fellows across the University.
- Through leadership, build research capacity in our areas of research expertise.
- Encourage and reward research and research training performance by introducing incentives.
- Develop and implement quality driven research management processes.
Updated: 20 March 2012