|Dr Moya Costello|
BA(Syd), DipEd(SydTC), GradDipMedia(VC), MA(Deakin), PhD(Adel)
|Current Appointment:||Lecturer in Creative Writing|
|Organisational Unit:||School of Arts & Social Sciences - Lismore|
|Telephone:||+61 2 6620 3146|
I arrived at SCU just before 2008ís first semester. I am a writer and have worked as an editor. Iíve taught semester-long writing subjects at the University of Canberra online and the University of Adelaide (subjects I wrote), and Flinders University. I have given single seminars at the universities of Western Sydney, South Australia, Adelaide. I have taught writing to TAFE and community groups.
Grants and Awards
- a recipient of Australia Council and Arts SA writing grants
- awarded a Varuna and the Barbara Hanrahan Fellowship (Arts SA)
- a Writer-in-Residence at Monash University
- a guest at the Sydney, Melbourne, Yamba, Bellingen, Gold Coast Writers Festivals. Launched Small Ecstasies at an Adelaide Festival Writers Week. On the 1998-2000 Adelaide Writers Week committee and judged the Festival/Premierís award for nonfiction.
- judged several awards including the Bank SA short-story award and Friendly Street Poetry awards.
Books: short fiction: Kites in Jakarta; Small Ecstasies (Sea Cruise;UQP); novellas: The Office as a Boat; Harriet Chandler (Brandl & Schlesinger; Short Odds Publications). Many short creative prose pieces published in anthologies (including Trangressions (Penguin) and Picador New Writing and literary journals (including Meanjin). I have edited a number of anthologies. I write short creative and creative nonfiction prose (short fiction, prose poems, essays, catalogue essays, fictocriticism) and novellas.
My research interests (please see the link above for papers):
- Australian writer Murray Bail
- fabric and affect with Dr Denise Rall
- art writing (also with Dr Rob Garbutt)
- home (with SASS colleagues)
- food, specifically wine (also with Dr Steve Evans)
- creative-writing pedagogy
- experimental writing
- subtropical regional Australian gothic (also with Tessa Chuddy and Dr Nell Cook)
I teach/have taught:
Contemporary Reading and Writing Practices, Writing Genre, Writing from the Edge, Food and Wine and Short Story Writing, Introduction to Editing and Publishing, Independent/Writing Project, Issues and Themes in Contemporary Writing.
PhDs: Supervised/supervising 8 PhDs as principal (co-supervised 2 UniAdelaide, 1 SCU), in writing and visual art, scriptwriting, SF, storytelling and community transformation, noir/gothic, slavery, ecocriticism. Completed 4 as principal supervisor. Examined 5 PhDs (Universities of Canberra, New South Wales, Western Sydney, Victoria and Adelaide).
Honours: supervised/am supervising 6 theses in childrenís and experimental writing, digital technologies (relationships), film script (non-horror serial murder), short stories (loss), ecocriticism, David Foster Wallace. Examined several theses from Griffith University, the University of Adelaide, SCU etc.
- Formerly on Arts and Culture Policy Advisory Group, Lismore City Council.
- Read/perform my work at various venues.
- Chair sessions at the Brisbane, Bellingen and Bryon Bay Writers Festivals.
- Wrote wine column, Northern Rivers Echo, 2009-2010. 2012- Village Journal.
- Member Lismore Regional Gallery (written one catalogue essay; organised two readings), Northern Rivers Writers Centre, the informal Lismore Station Hotel Wine Club.
Return to Staff Directory home
Last Updated: 23/10/2014 09:50:30 AM