|Dr Moya Costello|
BA(Syd), DipEd(SydTC), GradDipMedia(VC), MA(Deakin), PhD(Adel)
|Current Appointment:||Lecturer in Creative Writing|
|Organisational Unit:||School of Arts & Social Sciences - Lismore|
|Telephone:||+ 61 2 6620 3146|
|Location:||Build. B, ground flr, room 5 (B1.05)|
I arrived at SCU just before 2008ís first semester. I am a writer and have worked as an editor. Iíve taught semester-long writing subjects at the University of Canberra online and the University of Adelaide (subjects I wrote), and Flinders University. I have given single seminars at the universities of Western Sydney and South Australia. I have also taught writing at TAFE and to community groups.
Grants and Awards
- recipient of Australia Council and Arts SA writing grants
- Varuna Fellowship, and the Barbara Hanrahan Fellowship (Arts SA)
- Writer-in-Residence at Monash University
- Sydney and Melbourne Writers Festivals guest. Launched my first book at the Adelaide Festival Writers Week. On the 1998-2000 Adelaide Writers Week committee, judging the Festival/Premierís award for nonfiction.
- judge many awards including the Bank SA short-story and Friendly Street Poetry.
- longlisted in the 2012 Australian Book Review Calibre Essay Prize
Books: two collections of short fiction (Sea Cruise and UQP) and one novella (Brandl & Schlesinger) published. Before those books I had numerous short creative prose pieces published in anthologies (including Trangressions from Penguin and Picador New Writing ) and literary journals (including Meanjin). I have edited a number of anthologies. I write short creative and creative nonfiction prose (short fiction, prose poems, essays, catalogue essays, fictocriticism) and novellas.
My research interests are (please see the link above for papers):
- the Australian writer Murray Bail
- ecocriticism, specifically Beverley Farmer in The Bone House
- craftivism, and fabric and affect with Dr Denise Rall
- art writing (also with Dr Rob Garbutt)
- food, specifically wine (also with Dr Steve Evans)
- creative-writing pedagogy
- experimental writing
- the gothic in subtropical regional Australia (also with Tessa Chuddy and Dr Nell Cook)
Contemporary Reading and Writing Practices, Writing Genre, Writing from the Edge, Short Story Writing, and supervise in Independent and Writing Project.
PhDs: I have supervised/am supervising 5 PhDs as principal supervisor (and I have co-supervised 2 at the University of Adelaide), in writing and visual art, scriptwriting, SF and new technologies, storytelling and community transformation, and noir/gothic. I have completed 2 as principal supervisor at SCU. I have examined Masters and 5 PhDs (Universities of Canberra, New South Wales, Western Sydney, Victoria, Adelaide, Flinders).
Honours: I have supervised/am supervising 5 theses in childrenís writing, experimental writing, digital technologies (realism and relationships), film script (non-horror serial murder), and short stories (community/place/loss). I have examined several theses from Griffith University, the University of Adelaide, SCU etc.
- I am on the Arts and Culture Policy Advisory Group for Lismore City Council.
- I read/perform my work and co-organise readings at various venues.
- I chair numerous sessions at the Brisbane, Bellingen and Bryon Bay Writers Festivals.
- Wrote wine review column, Northern Rivers Echo, 2009-2010. 2012 for Village Journal.
- Member of the Lismore Regional Gallery (for whom I have written a catalogue essay) , and Northern Rivers Writers Centre.
- I attend NORPA productions.
- I am a member of the informal Lismore Wine Club meeting first Mondays of the month at the Station Hotel.
Return to Staff Directory home
Last Updated: 29/07/2013 01:04:38 PM