|Dr Moya Costello|
BA(Syd), DipEd(SydTC), GradDipMedia(VC), MA(Deakin), PhD(Adel)
|Current Appointment:||Lecturer in Creative Writing|
|Organisational Unit:||School of Arts & Social Sciences - Lismore|
|Telephone:||+ 61 2 6620 3146|
|Location:||Build. B, ground flr, room 5 (B1.05)|
I arrived at SCU just before 2008ís first semester. I am a writer and have worked as an editor. Iíve taught semester-long writing subjects at the University of Canberra online and the University of Adelaide (subjects I wrote), and Flinders University. I have given single seminars at the universities of Western Sydney, South Australia, Adelaide. I have taught writing to TAFE and community groups.
Grants and Awards
I have been:
- a recipient of Australia Council and Arts SA writing grants
- awarded a Varuna Fellowship, and the Barbara Hanrahan Fellowship (Arts SA)
- a Writer-in-Residence at Monash University
- a guest at the Sydney and Melbourne Writers Festivals. I launched my first book at the Adelaide Festival Writers Week. I was on the 1998-2000 Adelaide Writers Week committee and judged the Festival/Premierís award for nonfiction.
- a judge of a number of awards including the Bank SA short-story award and Friendly Street Poetry awards.
Books: two collections of short fiction (Sea Cruise and UQP) and one novella (Brandl & Schlesinger) published. Before these, I had numerous short creative prose pieces published in anthologies (including Trangressions from Penguin and Picador New Writing ) and literary journals (including Meanjin). I have edited a number of anthologies. I write short creative and creative nonfiction prose (short fiction, prose poems, essays, catalogue essays, fictocriticism) and novellas.
My research interests are (please see the link above for papers):
- Australian writer Murray Bail
- ecocriticism, specifically Beverley Farmer in The Bone House
- fabric and affect with Dr Denise Rall
- art writing (also with Dr Rob Garbutt)
- home (with SASS colleagues)
- food, specifically wine (also with Dr Steve Evans)
- creative-writing pedagogy
- experimental writing
- subtropical regional Australian gothic (also with Tessa Chuddy and Dr Nell Cook)
Contemporary Reading and Writing Practices, Writing Genre, Writing from the Edge, Food and Wine and Short Story Writing, Introduction to Editing and Publishing, Arts and Writing Project.
PhDs: Supervised/am supervising 5 PhDs as principal (co-supervised 2 UniAdelaide, 1 SCU), in writing and visual art, scriptwriting, SF and new technologies, storytelling and community transformation, noir/gothic, idea of the book. I have completed 3 as principal supervisor. I have examined 5 PhDs (Universities of Canberra, New South Wales, Western Sydney, Victoria and Adelaide).
Honours: I have supervised/am supervising 5 theses in childrenís and experimental writing, digital technologies (realism and relationships), film script (non-horror serial murder), short stories (community/place/loss), ecocritical novel. I have examined several theses from Griffith University, the University of Adelaide, SCU etc.
- Formerly on defunct Arts and Culture Policy Advisory Group, Lismore City Council.
- Read/perform my work at various venues.
- Chair numerous sessions at the Brisbane, Bellingen and Bryon Bay Writers Festivals.
- Wrote wine review column, Northern Rivers Echo, 2009-2010. 2012- for Village Journal.
- Member of the Lismore Regional Gallery (for whom I have written a catalogue essay), and Northern Rivers Writers Centre.
- Attend NORPA productions.
- Member of the informal Lismore Wine Club meeting at the Station Hotel.
Return to Staff Directory home
Last Updated: 06/02/2014 11:40:00 AM