|Dr Moya Costello|
BA(Syd), DipEd(SydTC), GradDipMedia(VC), MA(Deakin), PhD(Adel)
|Current Appointment:||Lecturer in Creative Writing|
|Organisational Unit:||School of Arts & Social Sciences - Lismore|
|Telephone:||+ 61 2 6620 3146|
I arrived at SCU just before 2008ís first semester. I am a writer and have worked as an editor. Iíve taught semester-long writing subjects at the University of Canberra online and the University of Adelaide (subjects I wrote), and Flinders University. I have given single seminars at the universities of Western Sydney, South Australia, Adelaide. I have taught writing to TAFE and community groups.
Grants and Awards
- a recipient of Australia Council and Arts SA writing grants
- awarded a Varuna and the Barbara Hanrahan Fellowship (Arts SA)
- a Writer-in-Residence at Monash University
- a guest at the Sydney, Melbourne, Yamba, Bellingen, Gold Coast Writers Festivals. Launched Small Ecstasies at an Adelaide Festival Writers Week. On the 1998-2000 Adelaide Writers Week committee and judged the Festival/Premierís award for nonfiction.
- judged several awards including the Bank SA short-story award and Friendly Street Poetry awards.
Books: short fiction: Kites in Jakarta; Small Ecstasies (Sea Cruise;UQP); novellas: The Office as a Boat; Harriet Chandler (Brandl & Schlesinger; Short Odds Publications). Many short creative prose pieces published in anthologies (including Trangressions (Penguin) and Picador New Writing and literary journals (including Meanjin). I have edited a number of anthologies. I write short creative and creative nonfiction prose (short fiction, prose poems, essays, catalogue essays, fictocriticism) and novellas.
My research interests (please see the link above for papers):
- Australian writer Murray Bail
- fabric and affect with Dr Denise Rall
- art writing (also with Dr Rob Garbutt)
- home (with SASS colleagues)
- food, specifically wine (also with Dr Steve Evans)
- creative-writing pedagogy
- experimental writing
- subtropical regional Australian gothic (also with Tessa Chuddy and Dr Nell Cook)
I teach/have taught:
Contemporary Reading and Writing Practices, Writing Genre, Writing from the Edge, Food and Wine and Short Story Writing, Introduction to Editing and Publishing, Arts and Writing Project, Issues and Themes in Contemporary Writing.
PhDs: Supervised/supervising 5 PhDs as principal (co-supervised 2 UniAdelaide, 1 SCU), in writing and visual art, scriptwriting, SF, storytelling and community transformation, noir/gothic, idea of the book. Completed 4 as principal supervisor. Examined 5 PhDs (Universities of Canberra, New South Wales, Western Sydney, Victoria and Adelaide).
Honours: supervised/am supervising 5 theses in childrenís and experimental writing, digital technologies (realism and relationships), film script (non-horror serial murder), short stories (community/place/loss), ecocritical novel. I have examined several theses from Griffith University, the University of Adelaide, SCU etc.
- Formerly on Arts and Culture Policy Advisory Group, Lismore City Council.
- Read/perform my work at various venues.
- Chair sessions at the Brisbane, Bellingen and Bryon Bay Writers Festivals.
- Wrote wine review column, Northern Rivers Echo, 2009-2010. 2012-2013 Village Journal.
- Member Lismore Regional Gallery (written one catalogue essay; organised two readings), Northern Rivers Writers Centre, the informal Lismore Station Hotel Wine Club.
Return to Staff Directory home
Last Updated: 23/10/2014 09:50:30 AM