How to Apply for Advanced Standing
Advanced Standing is a process of assessment that evaluates your current skills and knowledge in order to determine any amount of credit transfer that may be awarded towards units of study in your Southern Cross course.
Studying overseas with an Southern Cross University Educational Collaboration
If studying with an overseas Educational collaborator, please obtain and lodge your completed Advanced Standing Application form and supporting documents with the administration officer responsible for Southern Cross University degree programs at your home institution.
Studying in Australia with Southern Cross University
There are several ways to apply for Advanced Standing when studying with Southern Cross University online or on-campus in Australia:
If you are applying for Advanced Standing to have your prior learning recognised, the way in which you apply will depend on the way you have applied for admission into you course.
- Applying direct to Southern Cross University (online application)
In the Advanced Standing section of your online application for admission, indicate that you wish to be considered for Advanced Standing, selecting yes from the drop-down box provided;
- Applying through the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) or the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC)
Once you receive your offer from Southern Cross University, use your Student ID to log into the My Enrolment portal. Select eForms from the menu bar and complete and submit the Advanced Standing Application Form.
Unless your prior study was completed at Southern Cross University, you must upload supporting documents with your application. If you are unable to upload supporting documents, please contact your nearest Student Administration Office.
Your application for Advanced Standing will be assessed once an offer to study with Southern Cross University is made. You will receive the outcome by email.
- access the Advanced Standing Application;
- carefully read the eForm;
- complete the relevant sections in English;
- unless prior study was completed at SCU, you must attach supporting documents to verify your prior formal or non-formal study (section 5) or informal learning (section 6);
- if you have located an approved Southern Cross Credit Linkage or Pathway arrangement between the University and your prior institute (in Australia or overseas), save and attach a copy of this credit arrangement from any page within the Advanced Standing Search and Calculator;
- make your declaration by selecting Yes; and
- finish by clicking Submit eForm.
If you are unable to upload supporting documents, please contact your nearest Student Administration Office.
Support applications based on professional standing, experience or expertise
If you are applying for Advanced Standing on the basis of your professional standing, industry experience or expertise, you should read the RPL Portfolio Evidence Guidelines. You should also complete and submit the RPL Portfolio Evidence Form with your Advanced Standing application and supporting documents.
When applying for Advanced Standing to recognise professional standing, paid or voluntary work experience, on-the-job training, professional development or learning that occurred via seminars, projects, or leisure activities, the RPL Portfolio Evidence Guidelines will step you through using the RPL Portfolio Evidence Form to:
- write statements describing the breadth, depth and currency of your skills and knowledge;
- record the ways your professional standing, experience or expertise address the topics and learning outcomes of the unit/s in which credit transfer is sought;
- cite and reference the works of others that you refer to using an appropriate referencing style; ande
- nominate the supporting documents you will submit with your Advanced Standing Application to support your statements and evidence the current skills and knowledge you hold.
If your course is listed below, it is important to read the course specific information provided, before applying for Advanced Standing and completing the RPL Portfolio Evidence Form.
|Course name||Course Specific RPL Portfolio Evidence Information|
|Bachelor of Social Welfare|| BSocWelf RPL Course Work Information |
|Master of Social Work (Professional Qualifying)|| MSW(ProfQual) RPL Course Work Information |
For more information view Getting Started at SCU.
International students studying in Australia should view Studying in Australia.
Still have questions? contact us