Credit Pathways and Advanced Standing
The course or series of courses you choose will be influenced by your current circumstances, personal and career goals and other factors such as your past academic performance SCU course entry requirements and any amount of credit for prior learning you might be entitled to receive.
These factors vary from person to person but, no matter what your circumstances, Southern Cross University (SCU) can help you to:
- build a career profile based on your natural skills and talents; and
- examine your study options so you can confidently plan your study and career path in advance
Guaranteed entry @ SCU
If you hold a current Australian Certificate III or higher qualification (or an equivalent overseas qualification) and you meet the University's minimum English language requirements, you are GUARANTEED ENTRY into an SCU course and a place of study at university.
View further information about SCU Entry Requirements and Alternative Entry Arrangements.
Credit for related prior learning @ SCU
To help you select the course or series of courses you might study, SCU has evaluated some tertiary qualifications/courses delivered by the SCU College and Schools, TAFE and other Australian and overseas educational institutes to identify how much credit you may receive for your prior learning.
If you can not identify your previous tertiary qualification/course or educational organisation within the SCU approved linkage and pathway arrangements and you believe you have completed prior learning that is similar to the content of one or more units (subjects) within an SCU course, you should still apply to have your prior learning assessed via our Advanced Standing Process.
Progressing between SCU courses
Internal Pathways providing entry and credit for prior learning into higher level SCU courses include:
- progression following the SCU Head Start Program;
- progression from Diploma and Associate Degree studies into related Bachelor level studies; and
- progressing from the Bachelor of Contemporary Studies into another SCU Degree;
These pathways are:
- extremely supportive learning options that boost your academic skills, confidence and university selection rank;
- a guaranteed place of study in a higher level discipline relate SCU course;
- maximum credit for prior learning; and
- the opportunity to boost your lifetime income potential and earn multiple qualifications in the shortest possible time.
Coming from another University, TAFE or Private Registered Training Provider
SCU provides a range of external Qualification Linkages and Pathways facilitating entry (admission) with credit for prior learning (advanced standing) into SCU courses from qualifications/courses completed with other Educational Organisations in Australia and Overseas. These linkage and pathway credit arrangements are:
- an excellent bridge between TAFE, private colleges and university;
- a method of recognising learning experiences already mastered to save on tuition fees and cut months or years off your degree;
- an opportunity to use your vocational work based skills to work your way through your degree; and
- a means of increasing your employability and lifetime earning capacity.
Options for SCU graduates to progress into courses offered by other organisations
SCU also cooperates to establish Reciprocal (reverse) Pathways for SCU students and graduates into qualifications and courses offered by other educational organisations in Australia and overseas. These reciprocal arrangements are:
- greater support for the national and international mobility of SCU graduates;
- facilitated life long learning through various education levels, organisations and specialisations beyond SCU;
- maximum recognition for SCU learning experiences; and
- a way for SCU students to gain a practical employment advantage and multiple qualifications by choosing a degree with integrate certificate, diploma or advanced diploma options.
Explore SCU approved credit arrangements
- All Linkages and Pathways to SCU
- SCU Diploma and Associate Degree Progression
- All Australian Vocational Qualification Linkages
- TAFE Pathways
- All International Linkages and Pathways
- All International Qualification Linkages
- Pathways from SCU to Other Organisations
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Advanced Standing at SCU
- Recognition of Prior Learning at SCU (including links to the SCU Advanced Standing Website and the SCU Advanced Standing and Recognition of Prior Learning Policy)
- SCU Advanced Standing Search (which is only applicable to institute specific Pathways approved by SCU)
- How to apply for advanced standing
- Providing supporting documents
- Lodging an Advanced Standing Application
Information for other educational organisations about developing pathways with SCU
- Entry and/or Credit Models at SCU
- Apply to Develop Pathways with SCU
- Academic Evidence for Content Mapping
- Content Mapping to Inform Standard Credit Decisions
- Marketing and Promoting Pathways and Linkages
- Pathway and Linkage Review and Amendments
Still have questions? contact us
Updated: 29 October 2014