English language programs
SCU College offers fully accredited programs of English language and academic skills instruction as pathways to success at school and University for international students.
Course-based programs are available only to students on student visa or a working holiday visa:
- General English
- English for Academic Purposes
- Other programs:
- TOEIC preparation and testing
- Study Tours
To find out more about studying English at SCU College and living at the Gold Coast, Lismore or Coffs Harbour please download our pre-arrival information document.
Where will I study?
|Course||Lismore||Coffs Harbour||Gold Coast|
|English for Academic Purposes*||•||•|
|TOEIC Testing Centre||•|
*These courses are registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and the SCU College are fully accredited by National English Language Teaching Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).
- Arrival Information for Lismore
- Arrival Information for Coffs Harbour
- Greeting Service form for English Language Students
What will it cost?*
- $390 per week (20 hours face-to-face tuition + 5 hours self-study)
- $220 enrolment fee (non-refundable)
- $240 per week for Coffs Harbour
- $220 placement fee (non-refundable for Coffs Harbour)
- $150 - $290 per week depending on meal options plus a placement fee (non-refundable) for Gold Coast and Lismore.
Medical insurance costs:
- Overseas Student Health Cover is compulsory for all international students
- Indicative cost for 12 months $585 (effective February 2017).
Costs associated with Study Tours are negotiated with each tour group and depend on activities arranged.
*Fees are in Australian dollars and are correct at time of publication (February 2017)
Students are able to obtain refund of fees under some circumstances. See Tuition Fees Refund Policy.
What will I study?
See specifics under each program in left navigation.
All Academic English and General English classes include:
- 20 hours of face-to-face tuition per week from experienced and qualified ESL teachers;
- 5 hours of Independent Self Study;
- Computer access after class hours and one hour per week with class;
- Formative and summative class assessment;
- Access to library, computer laboratories and other university facilities;
- Course Completion documents;
- Multicultural classes with students from around the world.
Although timetables may vary, generally:
- At Lismore and Coffs Harbour campuses English language classes are from 9:00am to 2:00pm with self-study from 2:00pm - 3:00pm.
- At Gold Coast campus English classes are from 8:30am - 1:15am followed by an hour of self-study or 1:30pm - 6:15pm followed by an hour of self-study. These scheduled timings are subject to availability.
- There are lunch, morning and afternoon breaks each day.
- Every class has reserved computer laboratory times each week during class times.
- Students have access to email and the internet after and before class in one of the many university computer laboratories.
Where will it lead?
General English and English for Academic Purposes programs are pathways to university study. Depending on your English language proficiency English Language Programs lead to enrolment in diplomas through to postgraduate qualifications. See entry levels for specific courses. Download a pdf of the English language pathways image below.
How to apply
English Language program only - application requirements
Scanned copy of passport or English language personal identification document (e.g. Driver's Licence in English). If you require Homestay accommodation you will need to fill in and submit the form for your location when you apply.
English Language + other Southern Cross University Award - application requirements
To find out more about applying for an English Language course with another Southern Cross University award, visit the SCU International 'how to apply' webpage and check the admission requirements.