t: +61 2 6622 3211
f: +61 2 6622 3459
BSc (Hons) (University of Queensland)
MSc Biochemistry (University of Queensland)
Prior to joining SCPS Kellie gained extensive research experience working in a number of different laboratories; including university, commercial and industry based laboratories in the medical, plant and soil fields. She worked on a NHMRC funded project investigating malaria-red blood cell interactions on which her Master's thesis was based, a Queensland Cancer Council project investigating the cancer causing effects of alcohol and SRDC projects examining the potential of transgenic sugarcane and colorants in raw sugar. Whilst at SCPS she has worked on an ARC milk odour project correlating farm practices to milk volatiles, a CRC Sugar Industry Innovation through Biotechnology project involved in the isolation and characterisation of enzyme inhibitory compounds, a RIRDC project, involved in characterisation of green coffee bean quality markers, as well as a CRC project looking in unique compounds found in bush tomatoes. Kellie has experience across a broad range of analytical techniques used at SCPS, particularly LC/LCMS and GC/GCMS, sample preparation and compound isolation and bioassays including enzyme, anti-oxidant activity, anti-inflammatory and cytotoxicity assays.
- Deschaseaux ESM, Jones GB, Deseo MA, Shepherd KM, Kiene RP, Swan HB, Harrison PL and Eyre BD (2014) Effects of environmental factors on dimethylated sulfur compounds and their potential role in the antioxidant system of the coral holobiont. Limnol. Oceanogr. 59(3): 758-768.
- Deschaseaux ESM, Deseo MA, Shepherd KM, Jones GB and Harrison PL (2013) Air blasting as the optimal approach for the extraction of antioxidants in coral tissue. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 448: 146-148.
- Oprava A, Leach D, Beattie K, Connellan P, Forster P, Leach G, Buchbauer G, Shepherd K and Deseo M (2010) Chemical composition and biological activity of the essential oils from native Australian Callitris species Planta Medica 76(12).
- Shepherd KM and McGhie TK (1995) Novel Capillary Electrophoresis Technique for the Study of Plant Phenolic Enzymic Oxidation Mechanisms. J. Agric. & Food Chem. 43:657-661.
- Naumann KM, Jones GL, Saul AJ and Smith R (1992) Parasite-induced changes to localised erythrocyte membrane deformability in Plasmodium falciparum cultures. J. Immunol. Cell Biol. 70: 267-275.
- Naumann KM, Jones GL, Saul AJ and Smith R (1991) A Plasmodium falciparum exo-antigen alters erythrocyte membrane deformability. FEBS Lett. 292: 95-97.
- Oprava A, Leach DN, Beattie K, Connellan P, Forster P, Leach G, Buchbauer G, Shepherd K and Deseo MA (2011) Chemical composition and biological activity of the essential oils from native Australian Callitris species. Proceedings from the 59th International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society-for-Medicinal-Plant-and-Natural-Product-Research, Berlin, Germany, 29 August-2 September.
- Deseo MA, Shepherd KM, Abasolo M, Shepherd M and Lee DJ (2010) Chemical variation in the leaf essential oils of Australian Corymbia spp., paper presented to 41st International Symposium on Essential Oils, Wroclaw, Poland, 5-8 September.
- Payne DN, Leach DN, Morris CA, O'Shea MG, Liu L, Shepherd K and Deseo MA (2010) Compounds from Saccharum officinarum L. as leads for anti-diabetes treatment, paper presented to Microplate Technology,Basel, Switzerland, 20-24 September.
- Hamilton KC, Offord C, Cuneo P, Ashmore S, Deseo MA and Shepherd K (2009) Rainforest seed project, paper presented to Native Seed Forum, Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne, Vic., 2-4 September.
- Shepherd KM, Westbrooke VCF & Deseo MA (2008) GC analysis of aqueous plant extracts, paper presented to RACI Natural Products Group Symposium, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW, 3 October.
- Westbooke V, Smyth H, Shepherd K, Morris CA, Granzin B and Deseo (2008) Preliminary investigation into milk flavour (10th Scientific Meeting of the Australasian Association for Chemosensory Science (AACSS), Griffith University, Brisbane, Qld, 4-6 December.