Dr Lei (Ben) Liu
t: +61 2 6622 3211 (73293, internal)
f: +61 2 6622 3459
m: +61 0401581714
Most up-to-date information: leibenliu.wixsite.com/mysite
B. Engineering (Beijing University of Technology)
Grad Cert for Research Management (Southern Cross University)
PhD in Phytochemistry (Southern Cross University)
Lei Liu has completed his PhD 'Phytochemical and Pharmacological Perspectives of Wheat Grain and Lupin Seed' in 2010. He has wide interest in biological active phytochemicals, related to cereal chemistry, lupin, sugar cane, cotton, cocoa, grape fruit, seaweed, Australian native plants, Chinese traditional medicine and natural pesticides. He has proven expertise in the isolation and identification of bioactive secondary metabolites using bioactivity-guided fractionation.
He has carried out a serial projects funded by Cooperative Research Centres (CRC), including GrainFoods, Sugarcane and Cotton CRCs and Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). He has devoted himself to study health promoting functional food and nutraceuticals, and environmentally sustainable agriculture. Current research is focused on "High Value Bio-extractives and Bioethanol from Cotton Gin Trash" funded by Australia Cotton Research and Development Corporation.
- $8,000, State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of P.R. China, 2016 Introduce Intelligence Project:"Developing new LC-MS/MS method for the analysis of protein and lipid composition in rice" at Academy of State Administration of Grain, P.R. China. Dr Lei Liu
- $6,000, Southern Cross University, 2016 Research Seed Grants, "Understanding variation of different lipids in rice endosperm", Dr Lei Liu
- $3,000, Southern Cross University, 2015 Research Seed Grants, "Unravelling biochemical basis of low Gylcemic Index (GI) rice", Dr Lei Liu
- $428,783, Cotton Research and Development Corporation "High Value Bio-extractives and Bioethanol from Cotton Gin Trash" 2014-2017 (Dr S. Mclntosh, Dr. T. Vancov, Dr L. Liu, Dr I. O'Hara)
- $18,000. NSW Trade & Investment's TechVouchers "Medicinal mushroom mycelia grown on food substrades: Examination of phytochemical and nutritional quality" 2014 (Dr L. Liu, Prof. G. King)
- $476,204. Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Carbon Farming Initiative Action on the Ground program Round 2 "Reducing N2O emissions in subtropical plantation crops using inter-row legumes" 2013-2016 (Dr T. Rose, Dr L. Liu, Dr C. Raymond)
- $397,000. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation "Defining the link between rice grain protein profiles and rice grain quality" 2013-2016 (Dr D. Waters, Prof. G. King, Dr C. Raymond, Dr T. Rose, Dr L. Liu, Dr R. Ward)
- $44,940 Department of Industry's Australia-China Science and Research Fund "Develop a strategic collaboration between Zhejiang University and Huazhong Agricultural University in major food crop seed grain composition and nutritional quality" 2013-2014 (Prof. G. King, Dr L. Liu, Dr D. Waters, Dr T. Rose)
- National Synchrotron Radiation Research Centre (Taiwan). "X-ray absorption spectroscopy to determine phosphorus speciation and potential bioavailability in biochar made from rice straw, poultry manure and wheat straw" 2013 (Dr L. Liu, Dr T. Rose, Prof. A. Rose)
- Invited and sponsored mentor, Facebook Open Academy, "Development of open-source software for HPLC fingerprinting of rice protein" (in collaboration with OpenChrom), University of California, San Diego, 2015
- Invited and sponsored speaker, AACC International 2011 Annual Meeting, 'The inhibition of alpha-glucosidase by specific lipid components in wheat bran and germ', Palm Springs, California, U.S.A., 2011.3
- Invited guest lecture, Southern Cross University, School Health and Human Science, Food Ecology unit 'Genetically Modified Foods', Lismore, Australia, 2013, 2014
- Invited and sponsored speaker, International Seminar and Workshop on Chemistry and Educational Chemistry 'Genetic ', Pattimura University Ambon, Maluku, Indonesia, 2013.5
Refereed Journal Articles (* as corresponding author)
- 26---*Andrew Croaker, Graham J. King, John Pyne, Shailendra Anoopkumar-Dukie, *Lei Liu (2017) A Review of Black Salve: Cancer Specificity, Cure and Cosmesis, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, in press.
- 25---Mary Egbuta, Shane McIntosh, Daniel Waters, Tony Vancov, *Lei Liu (2017) Biological importance of cotton by-products relative to chemical constituents of the cotton plant, Molecules, in press.
- 24---Qianwen Zhang, Guangda Ding, Xiaohua Wang, Lei Liu, Graham J King, Fangsen Xu, *Lei Shi(2016) Research Progress on Plant Seed Phyate, Plant Science Journal, 34(5):814-820.
- 23---Chuan Tong, Lei Liu, Daniel L.E. Waters, Jin-song Bao, (2016) Association mapping and development of synthesis-related gene markers of starch lysophospholipids in rice (Oryza sativa L.), Rice Science, in press.
- 22---*Terry Rose, Tobias Kretzschmar, Lei Liu, Graham Lancaster, Matthias Wissuwa, (2016) Phosphorus deficiency alters nutrient accumulation patterns and grain nutritional quality in rice, Agronomy, in press.
- 21---Jeanette Balindong; *Lei Liu; Rachelle Ward; Bronwyn Barkla; *Daniel Waters, (2016) Optimisation and standardisation of extraction and HPLC analysis of rice grain protein, Journal of Cereal Science, in press.
- 20---Cyntia Ayumi Yokota Harayashiki, *Amanda J. Reichelt-Brushett, Lei Liu,Paul Butcher (2016) Behavioural and biochemical alterations in Penaeus monodon postlarvaediet-exposed to inorganic mercury, Chemosphere 164 (2016) 241-247
- 19---*Andrew Croaker, Graham J King, John H. Pyne, Shailendra Anoopkumar-Dukie and *Lei Liu,(2016) Sanguinaria canadensis: Traditional Medicine, Phytochemical Composition, Biological Activities and Current Uses, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2016, 17(9), 1414
- 18---Matthew T. Welling, Timothy Shapter, Terry J. Rose, Lei Liu, Rhia Stanger and Graham J. King (2016) A Belated Green Revolution for Cannabis: Virtual Genetic Resources to Fast-track Cultivar Development, Frontiers in Plant Science, 7:1113. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.01113
- 17---Lingxu Ye, Sumei Zhou, Liya Liu, Lei Liu, Daniel L. E. Waters, Kui Zhong, Xianrong Zhou, Xiaojun Ma, Xingxun, Liu, (2016) Phenolic Compounds and Antioxidant Capacity of Brown Rice in China, International Journal of Food Engineering, 12 (6), 537-546
- 16---*Matthew T Welling, *Lei Liu, Terry J Rose, Daniel LE Waters, Kirsten Benkendorff, (2016) Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: effects on plant terpenoid accumulation, Plant Biology, 18, (4) 552-562. (Impact Factor 2014:2.633)
- 15---Matthew T Welling, Lei Liu, Tim Shapter, Carolyn A. Raymond, *Graham J. King (2015) Characterisation of cannabinoid composition in a diverse Cannabis sativa L. germplasm collection, Euphytica, 28(3) 463-475.
- 14---*Kirsten Benkendorff, David Rudd, Bijayalakshmi Devi Nongmaithem, Lei Liu, Fiona Young, Vicki Edwards, Cathy Avila, Catherine Abbott, (2015) Are the traditional medical uses of Muricidae molluscs substantiated by their pharmacological properties and bioactive compounds? Marine Drugs, 13(8) 5237-5275.(Impact Factor 2014:2.853)
- 13---Chuan Tong, *Lei Liu, Daniel L. E. Waters, Yan Huang, *Jinsong Bao, (2015) The contribution of lysophospholipids to pasting and thermal properties of rice starch, Carbohydrate Polymers, 133:187-193, (Impact Factor 2014:4.074)
- 12---Chuan Tong, Lei Liu, Daniel L. E. Waters, Terry J. Rose, Jinsong Bao, Graham J. King. (2014) Genotypic variation in lysophospholipids of milled rice, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62(38):9353-61, DOI: 10.1021/jf503213p (A journal, ERA 2010)
- 11---*Lei Liu, Chuan Tong, Jinsong Bao, Daniel L. E. Waters, Terry J. Rose, Graham J. King. (2014) Determination of starch lysophospholipids in rice using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS), Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62(28)6600-6607, DOI: 10.1021/jf500585j (A journal, ERA 2010)
- 10---*Lei Liu, Daniel LE Waters, Terry J Rose, Jinsong Bao, Graham J King, (2013) Phospholipids in rice: Significance in grain quality and health benefits: A review, Food Chemistry, 139 (1-4): 1133-1145. (A* journal, ERA 2010)
- 9---*Terry J. Rose, Lei Liu, Matthias Wissuwa (2013) Improving phosphorus efficiency in cereal crops: is breeding for reduced grain phosphorous concentration part of the solution? frontiers in Plant Science, 4:444. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2013.00444
- 8---Sha Sha, Lei Liu, Shun Pan, Weimin Wang* (2013) Isolation and purification of antifungal components from Trichoderma harzianum ferment broth by High-Speed Counter-Current Chromatography. Chinese Journal of Biological Control, 29(1):83-88.
- 7---*Lei Liu, Kelly M Winter, Lesley M Stevenson, Carol Morris, David N Leach (2012) Wheat bran lipophilic compounds with in vitro anticancer effects, Food Chemistry, 130 (1):156-64. (A* journal, ERA 2010)
- 6---*Lei Liu, Michael Heinrich, Stephen P. Myers, Symon A. Dworjanyn (2012) Towards a better understanding of medicinal uses of the brown seaweed genus Sargassum in traditional Chinese medicine: a phytochemical and pharmacological review, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 142(3):591-619. (Cited 91 times, Google Scholar, 15/08/2016)
- 5---Qingyao Shou, Hans Wohlmuth, Xiaoxiang He, Lei Liu, Zhengwu Shen (2012) Chemical constituents from Fritillaria anhuiensis, Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, 45: 16-19.
- 4---Shun Pan, Lei Liu, Weimin Wang* (2012) Identification of Antibiotic Peptaibols from the Fermentation Broth of Trichoderma harzianum. Chinese Journal of Biological Control, 28(4):528-536.
- 3---Shun Pan, Lei Liu, Xianshu Fu, Weimin Wang* (2012) High throughput screening and detection of peptaibol antibiotics from the fermentation broth of Trichoderma harzianum by LC-MS/MS, Chinese Pharmaceutical Journal, 47(22): 1849-1855.
- 2---*Lei Liu, Myrna A Deseo, Carol Morris, Kelly Winter, David N Leach (2011) Investigation of a-glucosidase inhibitory activity of wheat bran and germ, Food Chemistry, 126(2): 553-561. (A* journal, ERA 2010)
- 1---Guoliang Yin, Weimin Wang, Sha Sha, Lei Liu, Xiaoping Yu* (2010) Inhibition and control effects of the ethyl acetate extract of Trichoderma harzianum fermented broth against Botrytis cinerea, African Journal of Microbiology Research, 4(15):1647-1653.
- *Liu L. Rose T. J., Waters D. LE, Welling M. T., Julia C, King G. J., Presentation: Lysophospholipids in developing rice grain, 66th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Tamworth, NSW, Australia 2016.
- *Liu L. Guo Q., He Z., Xia X., Waters D. LE, Rose R. J., King G. J., Oral Presentation: Genotypic variation in wheat flour lysophospholipids and contribution to kernel hardness, 65th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Sydney (Coogee), NSW, Australia 2015.
- *Liu L., Chuan T., Bao J. S., Waters, D. L. E., Rose, T., King, G. J., Oral Presentation:Genotype screening of Starch Lysophospholipids in white Rice Using Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LCMS), 64th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 2014.
- *Liu L., Chuan T., Bao J. S., Waters, D. L. E., Rose, T., King, G. J., Poster Presentation: Direct Quantification of Rice Starch Phospholipids using LCMS, 63th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia 2013.
- *Liu L., Waters D. L. E., Rose, T. J., King, G. J., Poster Presentation: Improved Understanding of Phospholipids in Rice Grain for Crop Improvement, 62th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia 2012.
- *Liu L., Wang W. M., Sha, S., Shun, P., Yin G.L., Yu X. P., Oral Presentation: Investigation of Natural Fungicides in Trichoderma harzianum Broth, Royal Australian Chemical Institute: Natural Products Chemistry Group Annual Symposium, Macquarie University, North Ryde, 2010.
- *Liu L., Deseo M. A., Thompson D., Wohlmuth H. and Leach D. N., Oral Presentation: Phytochemical and Pharmacological Aspects of Australian Bloodroots (Haemodorum spp.). Royal Australian Chemical Institute: Natural Products Chemistry Group Annual Symposium, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, 2009.
- *Winter, K. M.; Liu L.; Stevenson, L. M. and Leach, D. N., Oral Presentation: Wheat Bran: By-Product or Bioactive? AACC International Annual Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2008.
- *Winter, K., Liu L., Leach, D. N., Poster Presentation: Unsaturated fatty acids as antioxidants in wheat bran. Royal Australian Chemical Institute: Natural Products Chemistry Group Annual Symposium, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2007.
- *Liu L., Winter, K. M., Stevenson, L. M., Leach, D. N., Oral Presentation: Cytotoxic resorcinols from wheat bran. RACI Cereal Chemistry Division, 56th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Fremantle, 2006 (sponsored).
- *Winter, K. M., Liu L., Stevenson, L. M., Leach, D. N., Southan, M., Oral Presentation: Factors affecting antioxidant activity and glycemic index activity during the debranning process of wheat. RACI Cereal Chemistry Division, 56th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Fremantle, 2006.
- *Liu L., Winter, K., Stevenson, L. M., David Leach D. N., Poster Presentation: Cytotoxicity of Quinolizidine alkaloids from Lupins. Royal Australian Chemical Institute: Natural Products Chemistry Group Annual Symposium, Macquarie University, Sydney, 2005.