Dr Catherine Nock
Research Fellow, Southern Cross University
t: +61 2 6620 3398
BSc in Biology (University of New South Wales)
MSc in Genetics (Southern Cross University)
PhD in Genetics (Southern Cross University)
My research interests include the genomics, population genetics, phylogenetics and conservation of Australian species. Current research is focused on the macadamia genome sequence and its potential for understanding the genetic basis of traits of economic importance to the macadamia industry and of adaptive importance for wild populations.
- Southern Cross University Institutional Biosafety Committee
- First Aid Officer and Emergency Warden
- SCU Representative: Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild fauna and flora (CITES)
Research Grants awarded in past five years
- $185,000. Horticulture Innovation Australia "Establishing an open-source platform for unravelling the genetics of Macadamia: integration of linkage and genome maps" 2015-2019 (C.J. Nock, A. Baten, G.J. King, SCU)
- $158,596. Sugar Research Australia "Validation of LSB-PCR diagnostic for ratoon stunting disease and characterisation of non-Lxx strains of Leifsonia associated with sugarcane" 2014-2017 (A.J. Young, NSW Sugar, C.J. Nock, SCU)
- $45,000. NSW Government, Industry and Investment and Mustard Seeds Finance Trust "Whole genome shotgun sequencing for variety identification of macadamia" 2011-2012 (C.J. Nock)
Google Scholar profile: Cathy Nock Google Scholar
- Nock, C.J. Baten, A., Barkla, B.J., Furtado, A., Henry, R.J. and King, G.J. (2016) Genome and transcriptome sequencing confirms the gene space of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). BMC Genomics 17(1): 937.
- Young, A.J., Kawamata, A., Ensbey, M.A., Lambley, E. and Nock, C.J. (2016) Efficient diagnosis of Ratoon Stunting Disease of sugarcane by quantitative PCR on pooled leaf sheath biopsies. Plant Disease 100(12): 2492-2498.
- Ahmad Termizi, A.A., Hardner, C.M., Batley, J., Nock, C.J. Hayashi, S., Montenegro, J.D. and Edwards, D. (2016) SNP analysis of (2016) Macadamia integrifolia chloroplast genomes to determine the genetic structure of wild populations. Acta Horticulturae 100(12): 1109, 175-180.
- O'Connor, K., Powell, M. Nock, C.J. and Shapcott, A. (2015) Crop to wild gene flow in a vulnerable Macadamia (Proteaceae) species in New South Wales, Australia. Biological Conservation 191:504-511.
- Nock C.J., Baten A.K.M. and King, G.J. (2014) Complete chloroplast genome of Macadamia integrifolia confirms the position of the Gondwanan early-diverging eudicot family Proteaceae. BMC Genomics 15, Suppl 9: S13.
- Nock C.J., Elphinstone, M.S., Ablett, G., Kawamata, A., Hancock, W., Hardner, C.M. and King, G.J. (2014) Whole genome shotgun sequences for microsatellite discovery and application in cultivated and wild Macadamia (Proteaceae). Applications in Plant Sciences 2(4): 1300089.
- Casselman, I., Nock, C.J., Wohlmuth, H., Weatherby, R.P. and Heinrich, M. (2014) From local to global - fifty years of research on Salvia divinorum. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 151: 768-783.
- Lee K.E., Ellis W.A.H., Carrick F.N., Corely S.W., Johnstone S.D., Baverstock P.R., Nock C.J. , Rowe K.C. and Seddon J.M. (2013) Anthropogenic changes to the landscape result in southerly colonisation of koalas in northeast New South Wales, Australia. Austral Ecology 38(3): 355-363.
- Henry R.J., Edwards M., Waters D.L.E, Krishnan G., Bundock P., Sexton T., Masouleh A.K., Nock C.J. and Pattemore J. (2012) Application of large-scale sequencing to marker discovery in plants. Journal of Biosciences 37(5): 829-841.
- Waters D.L.E., Nock C.J., Ishikawa R., Rice N. and Henry R.J. (2012) Chloroplast genome sequence confirms distinctness of Australian and Asian wild rice. Ecology and Evolution 2(1): 211-217.
- Nock C.J., Waters D.L.E., Edwards M.A., Bowen S., Rice N., Cordeiro G.M., Henry R.J. (2011) Chloroplast genome sequences from total DNA for plant identification. Plant Biotechnology Journal. 9: 328-333.
- Nock C.J., Ovenden J.R., Butler G.L., Wooden I., Moore A., Baverstock P.R. (2011) Population structure, effective population size and adverse effects of stocking in the endangered Australian eastern freshwater cod, Maccullochella ikei. Journal of Fish Biology. 78: 303-321.
- Nock, C.J., Elphinstone, M.J., Rowland, S.J. and Baverstock, P.R. (2010) Phylogenetics and revised taxonomy of the Australian freshwater cod genus, Maccullochella. Marine and Freshwater Research. 61:980-991.
- Le, S., Nock, C.J., Henson, M. and Shepherd, M. (2009) Genetic differentiation among and within three red mahoganies (Series Annulares), Eucalyptus pellita, E. resinifera and E. scias (Myrtaceae). Australian Systematic Botany. 22: 332-343.
- Knight, J.T., Nock, C.J., Elphinstone, M.S. and Baverstock, P.R. (2009) Conservation implications of distinct genetic structuring in an endangered freshwater fish, Nannoperca oxleyana (Perchichthyidae). Marine and Freshwater Research. 60:34-44.
- Nock, C.J. and Baverstock, P.R. (2008) Polymorphic microsatellite loci for species of Australian freshwater cod Maccullochella. Conservation Genetics. 9: 1353-1356.
- Elphinstone, M., Hinten, G., Anderson, M. and Nock, C. (2003) An inexpensive and high-throughput procedure to extract and purify total genomic DNA for population studies. Molecular Ecology Notes. 3:317-320.
- Henry, R.J., Rice, N., Edwards, M. and Nock C.J. (2014) Next generation technologies to determine plastid genome sequences. Chapter2, Pp 39-46 In: Chloroplast Biotechology, Methods and Protocols series: Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 132. Humana Press.
- Rost, J. Muralidharan, S. Campbell, D., Merhr, S., Nock, C.J. and Lee A.L. (2016) Discovery of 7S and 11S globulins as putative allergens in macadamia nut by combining allergenomics and serum IgE binding. ASCIA 2016 27th Annual Conference of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Gold Coast September 14-16th.
- Nock, C.J. Baten A., Barkla B.J., Furtado A., Henry R.J. and King G.J. (2016) Cracking the nut: genome and transcriptome sequencing of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution Conference 2016, Gold Coast July 4-7th.
- Young, A. and Nock, C.J. (2015) Diverse Leifsonia genotypes are associated with sugarcane in Australia. Tropical Agriculture Conference, Brisbane, November 16-18th.
- Hardner, C.M., Batley, J., Nock, C.J., Ahmad Termizi, A.A., Peace, C., Hayashi, S., Montenegro, J.D. and Edwards, D. (2015) Back-yard macadamias in Brisbane as a reservoir of genetic diversity for future breeding. Tropical Agriculture Conference, Brisbane, November 16-18th.
- Nock, C.J., Baten, A., Hancock, W., Kawamata, A., Hardner, C.M., Topp, B., Henry, R.J. and King, G.J. (2014) Macadamia: Harvesting the Genome. International Horticultural Congress, Brisbane, August Aug 18-22nd.
- Mai T.T.P., Furtado A., Nock C.J., Neal J., King G., Topp B. and Henry R.J. (2014) Phylogeny of Macadamia from Chloroplast Genome Sequences. International Horticultural Congress, Brisbane, August 18- 22nd.
- Ahmad Termizi A.A., Hardner C.M., Batley J., Nock C.J., Hayashi S., Montenegro J.D. (2014) Sequence analysis of Macadamia integrifolia chloroplast genomes to determine the wild origin of domesticated cultivars in Hawaii. International Horticultural Congress, Brisbane, August 18- 22nd.
- Nock C.J., Baten A., King G.J. (2014) De novo assembly of the complete sequence and comparative analysis of the chloroplast genome of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). International Conference on Bioinformatics, Sydney, July 31 - August 2nd.
- Young A.J., Nock C.J., Martin A., Ensbey M. (2014) Novel diagnostic for ratoon stunting disease: development and implications for RSD management. Proceedings of the 36th Conference of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists. 36:237-243.
- Nock, C.J., Baten, A., Hancock, W., Kawamata, A., Hardner, C.M., Topp, B., Henry, R.J. and King, G.J. (2014) Harvesting the macadamia genome. Plant and Animal Genome XXII Conference, San Diego, California. January 11-15.
- Baten, A., Nock, C.J., Kawamata, A., Furtado, A., Henry, R.J. and King, G.J. (2014) Unravelling the Gondwanan genome of macadamia. Plant and Animal Genome XXII Conference, San Diego, California. January 11-15.
- Hardner, C.M., Zee, F., Nickum, J., Batley, J., Ahmad Termizi, A., Nock, C.J. and McConchie, I. (2013) Reconstructing the domestication pathway of macadamia, an iconic Australian plant. American Society for Horticultural Science 110th Conference, Palm Desert, California. July 22-25.
- Bloomfield, J.A., Rose, T.J., Kawamata, A., Nock, C.J., Hopkins, C., Kurup, S., Wang, J., Baten, A. & King, G.J. (2013) Epigenetic profiling during Brassica rapa reproductive development, Plant and Animal Genome Asia Conference. Singapore. March 17-19.
- Nock, C.J., Waters, D.L.E., Shepherd, M., Bundock, P.C. and Henry, R.J. (2011) Plant DNA barcoding using chloroplast genome sequences. XVIII International Botanical Congress, Melbourne. July 23-30.
- Henry R.J., Waters D.L.E., Nock C.J., Rice N., Bowen S., Ishikawa R. (2011) Chloroplast genome sequence indicates Australian wild rice represents a source of diversity for rice improvement. Plant and Animal Genome XIX Conference, San Diego, California.
- Nock C.J., Waters D.L.E., Shepherd M., Bundock P.C., Henry R.J. (2011) Whole organelle genomes from total plant DNA sequencing. Plant and Animal Genome XIX Conference, San Diego, California.
- Rice, N., Cordeiro, G., Nock, C.J., Waters, D.L., Bowen, S. and Henry, R.J. (2010) Whole genome sequence (WGS) analysis for exploring plant relationships. Plant and Animal Genome XVIII Conference, San Diego, Californai.
- Rice, N.F., Nock, C.J., Waters, D.L.E., Bundock, P.C., Shepherd, M, Bowen, S., Edwards, M.A. and Henry, R.J. (2009) Next-generation sequencing of plant genomes. NSW Bioinformatics Research Symposium, Sydney.
- Nock, C.J. and Baverstock, P.R. (2006) Evolutionary history and population genetics of the endangered eastern freshwater cod. Australian Society for Fish Biology, Hobart.
- Nock, C.J., Moore, A., Gartside, D. and Baverstock, P.R. (2003) Conservation genetics of the eastern freshwater cod (Maccullochella ikei). XIX International Congress of Genetics, Melbourne.