t: +61 46 988 6871
BSc (Hons.) Agriculture in Plant Breeding and Genetics (University of Agriculture, Faisalabad-Pakistan)
MSc (Hons.)/Mphil Agriculture in Plant Breeding and Genetics (University of Agriculture, Faisalabad-Pakistan)
I am a Plant Breeder and Geneticist and my research sphere rounds about the breeding, genetics and molecular biology of cereal crops (maize, wheat and rice). I have a basic understanding and managing the crop plants to biotic and abiotc stresses, a real problems of today's world for food security issues. Within this sphere, my undergraduate honours project investigated gene (HVA 1) for drought and salinity tolerance in wheat. During my Master of Honours project, to obtain high grain yield maize hybrids in arid/semi-arid zone, I investigated the possible physiological, quality traits and key agronomic factors in maize germplasm under drought and heat stress. Tailing with this approach the drought tolerant genotypes were investigated for maize tissue culturing (using mature and immature embryos for plantlets development) and genetic transformation. Now for PhD at SCU I have planned to conduct research in the molecular genetics of rice and rice grain quality in the context of rice breeding.
Prior to undertaking a PhD, I worked as a Research Scientist/Lab Officer in Department of Viriology (Class-II, PC2 certified Lab) with Punjab Institute of Nuclear Medicine (PINUM), Cancer Hospital, Faisalabad-Pakistan. We focused on molecular diagnosis of Hepatitis-C, Hepatitis-B, Tuberculosis and Fungal Keratitis; also did Research & Development for future horizons and facilities at PINUM for Public. This entailed to extend my experience in molecular biology in health sciences too.
Awards and Scholarship
Turkish Government Scholarship (Burslari May 2015) awarded by Turkish Government for PhD studies.
Korean Government Scholarship (KGSP-August 2015) awarded by Korean Government for PhD studies.
International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS), December-2015 awarded by Australian Government for PhD studies. On the behalf of this award I am currently doing my PhD at Southern Cross University, Lismore-Australia (I have selected IPRS for my future horizons).
- Fawad Ali, Naila Kanwal, Muhammmad Ahsan, Qurban Ali, Irshad Bibi and Nabeel Khan Niazi. 2015. Multivariate Analysis of Grain Yield and Its Attributing Traits in Different Maize Hybrids Grown under Heat and Drought Stress. Scientifica. Volume 2015, Article ID 563869, 6 pages .
- Fawad Ali, Naila Kanwal, Muhammad Ahsan, Qurban Ali, and Nabeel Khan Niazi. 2015. Crop improvement through conventional and non-conventional breeding approaches for grain yield and quality traits in Zea mays L. Life Science Journal. 12(4s): 38-50 .
- Fawad Ali, Muhammad Ahsan, Naseer Ahmed Saeed, Chaudary Mudassir Ahmed, Qurban Ali, Naila Kanwal, Muhammad Massub Tehseen, Usman Ijaz, Irshad Bibi and Nabeel Khan Niazi,.NAILA KANWAL. 2013. Establishment and optimization of callus-to-plant regeneration system using mature and immature embryos of maize (Zea mays L.) International Journal of Agriculture and Biology. 16(1) 111-117.
- Muhammad Bilal Shakoor, Nabeel Khan Niazi, Irshad Bibi, Ghulam Murtaza, Anitha Kunhikrishnan, Balaji Seshadri, Muhammad Shahid, Shafaqat Ali, Nanthi S. Bolan, Yong Sik Ok, Muhammad Abid, Fawad Ali. 2015. Remediation of Arsenic-Contaminated Water Using Agricultural Wastes as Biosorbents. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 2016, VOL. 46, NO. 5, 467-499.
- Muhammad Abid, Nabeel Khan Niazi, Irshad Bibi, Abida Farooqi, Yong Sik Ok, Anitha Kunhikrishnand, Fawad Ali, Shafaqat Ali, Avanthi Deshani Igalavithanac and Muhammad Arshad. Arsenic (V) biosorption by charred orange peel in aqueous environments. International Journal of Phytoremediation. 2016, VOL. 18, NO. 5, 442-449.
- Naila Kanwal, Hafeez Ahmed Sadaqat, Qurban Ali, Fawad Ali, Irshad Bibi and Nabeel Khan Niazi. 2016. Role of combining ability and heterosis in improving achene yield of Helianthus annuus L: An overview. Nature and Science 14(1): 55-62.
- Naila Kanwal, Hafeez Ahmed Sadaqat, Qurban Ali, Fawad Ali, Irshad Bibi and Nabeel Khan Niazi. 2015. Breeding Progress for morphology and genetic pattern in Helianthus annuus L. Life Science Journal 12(5s): 49-5.