Developing a Budget
Your budget needs to include all cash and in-kind items that the project will require. Budget items to consider are:
- Staff costs (don't forget to factor in salary increases, oncosts and casual loadings),
- Student stipends,
- Infrastructure and/or work unit fees.
In-kind is any non-cash contributions that a party contributes to the research project. In-kind can be contributed by SCU or by an external party, and can be:
- staff (eg: if someone is contributing their time to the project but their time is not funded by the project) or
- non-staff (eg: if you are making lab space available to conduct the project but are not receiving direct payment from the project to 'buy out' lab space)
Including Oncosts in a Budget
Oncosts are direct costs associated with salary, including superannuation, sick leave, payroll tax etc. and must be included your budget.
For SCU Academic and General Salaries, 32.15% oncosts apply. For SCU Casual rates, 19% oncosts apply. The applicable percentage should be added to the appropriate SCU EB Salary rate. Please see the HR website for Pay, Conditions and Benefits for the latest salary amounts.
If you use the Budget Templates these oncost amounts are automatically calculated for you.
Please note: For some schemes, the funding provider may stipulate a specific maximum rate for funding of salary oncosts, e.g. the Australian Research Council (ARC) will not fund more than 30% oncosts. In cases such as this, the difference between the allowable oncost rate and SCU actual rate, i.e.
32.15% minus 30% = 2.15%
can be added as an SCU in-kind contribution.
The 15% Infrastructure fee is in place to cover costs associated with the University's support and development of research.
All research agreements are subject to the 15% infrastructure fee except:
- Nationally competitive grants (as per current Australian Competitive Grants Register), except where the funding body/scheme expressly provides for such a fee*. For example, ACIAR allow a 13% fee for the lead organisation, and 5% for partner organisations. These allowed ACIAR fees would be split between the Office of Research and the primary School/Centre.
- Collaborative Research Grant Scheme funding
- Projects under $20,000 GST exclusive
- Existing CRC projects
- Stipend only projects
- If a project includes budget items that are clearly identified as student support (eg. stipends and/or operating costs), the infrastructure fee will not be applied to those student budget items (but will be applied to the balance).
If the Infrastructure fee is applicable, your work unit may also charge a fee (School/Centre fee) - please check with your finance officer whether a School/Centre fee is applicable.
If you are aware of any funding bodies/schemes that allow for such a fee, please advise the Grants Team.
Calculating the Infrastructure Fee
The 15% Infrastructure fee is 15% of the Base amount (ie. what the researcher needs to run the project). An example is below:
|Budget $||Budget item|
|10,000||Base Amount - what researchers need to run the project|
|1,500||Infrastructure fee - 15% of Base Amount*|
|1,000||School fee - if applicable, calculate school fee as a % of Base Amount*|
|12,500||Amount requested from funding provider - total of Base Amount, infrastructure fee and school fee|
If you use the Budget Templates provided, these fees are automatically calculated for you.
* Infrastructure and school fees were previously calculated from the amount requested from funding provider, rather than the amount researchers needed to run the project. This resulted in compounding issues when both infrastructure fee and school fees were being calculated. The calculation method has now been revised to make budgets easier to calculate.
Internal Budgets and Client Budgets
The Infrastructure fee and School fee (if applicable) are internal fees and it's not necessary to show them as separate budget items (unless the rules of the funding body state that you have to).
An example is shown below of the difference between an internal budget, and how you can present the budget to your funding body:
|18,532.58||Research Assistant (HEW 5/1 1.0 FTE for 3 months casual contract, including oncosts)|
|700.00||Collection sample kits (200 x $3.50 each)|
|3,000.00||Boat hire (2 days at $1,500 per day)|
|27,790.71||Amount requested from funding provider|
Budget to present to Client/Funding Provider:
Infrastructure and school fees (if applicable) are 'built in' to each budget item. If you use the Budget Templates these amounts are automatically calculated for you.
|$23,166||Salaries - Research Assistant|
|$875||Consumables - 200 collection sample kits|
|$3,750||Equipment - 2 days boat hire|
|$27,791||Amount requested from funding provider|