School of Law and Justice Annual Michael Kirby Lecture Series
Each year Southern Cross University and the School of Law and Justice hold the Michael Kirby Lecture and Dinner, which features a keynote address by a prominent person in the areas of law, human rights, social policy or justice.
The lecture series is named after Australia's most iconic judge, The Hon Michael Kirby. When he retired from the High Court in 2009, Mr Kirby was Australia's longest serving judge. He has remained active in retirement. He has served as the President of the Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia and as Editor-in-Chief of The Laws of Australia. He is an Honorary Visiting Professor at 12 universities, including Southern Cross University.
- 2017:Ms Raelene Webb QC, President, National Native Title Tribunal. Lecture topic: Native title re-imagined: the perspective of Justice Kirby.
- 2016: Mr Walter Sofronoff, Queen's Counsel. Lecture topic: The Doctrine of the Separation of Powers in Australia.
- 2015: Professor Rosalind Croucher AM, President of the Australian Law Reform Commission since 2009.
Lecture topic: Re-imagining law reform - Michael Kirby's vision, human rights and the Australian Law Reform Commission in the 21st century.
- 2014:The Hon John Dowd AO QC, Chancellor of Southern Cross University (2003 - 2013)
- 2013: Professor Megan Davis, Director, Indigenous Law Centre, University of New South Wales
- 2012: The Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP, Member for Wentworth since 2004
- 2011: Associate Professor Thomas Faunce, bioethics scholar, Australian National University since 2003
- 2010: The Hon Justice Margaret McMurdo AC, President of the Court of Appeal for the Supreme Court of Queensland since 1998. She was the first woman appointed to this role.
- 2009: Professor Adrien Wing, human rights scholar and lawyer, University of Iowa since 1987
- 2008: Pamela Tate SC, the first woman appointed to the position of Solicitor-General in Victoria, 2003 - 2010
- 2007: The Hon Michael Kirby
10th Annual Michael Kirby Lecture
9th Kirby Lecture 2015 Professor Rosalind Croucher AM, President of the Australian Law Reform Commission delivers the 9th Annual Michael Kirby Lecture entitled 'Re-imagining Law Reform - Michael Kirby's Vision, Human Rights and the Australian Law Reform Commission in the 21st Century' on 9th July 2015 at SCU Gold Coast campus.
8th Kirby Lecture 2014 The Hon John Dowd AO QC
7th Kirby Lecture 2013 Professor Megan Davis
6th Kirby Lecture 2012 The Hon Malcolm Turnbull
3rd Kirby Lecture 2009 Professor Adrien Wing