Skip to Content

International applicants

SCU's ValuesSouthern Cross University (SCU) is proud of its commitment to workplace equity and cultural diversity and we value the contribution that employees from culturally diverse backgrounds bring to our University community.

We welcome applications from people who share our Values and commitment to our students, community and strategic direction for those positions open to international applicants. However, before you apply, we recommend that you carefully consider the process of migration and the implications for you and your family.

If you are successful in obtaining employment at SCU, the University will usually sponsor and nominate you for the appropriate work visa. HR Services will discuss this with you at the time.

The following information is provided to help you decide whether to relocate to Australia:

Working in Australia

  • Eligibility to work

    To be eligible for employment at SCU, you must have the right to work in Australia or be a suitable candidate for nomination and sponsorship. Information about Australian citizenship and visas with work rights can be obtained from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

  • Taxation

    You will need a Tax File Number (TFN) to receive an income in Australia. You can apply for a TFN over the internet or you can telephone the Australian Taxation Office and have a TFN application form sent to you.

    Further information about Australia's tax system can be obtained from the Australian Taxation Office website.

  • Qualifications

    Suitability of overseas qualifications will be assessed as part of the recruitment and /or appointment process.

    On commencement, employees with overseas qualifications must provide the original testamurs, transcripts or certificates for academic and professional qualifications together with an accredited translation for qualifications not in English. For information on accredited translations within Australia refer to the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters website.

  • Work rights for family members

    The type of visa that you are granted will determine whether your family members will be able to work during your time in Australia. Further information is available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Living in Australia

  • Health insurance

    The Australian Government provides help with basic medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare. Depending on the conditions of your visa, you may be eligible to join Medicare and gain immediate access to health care services and programs such as free public hospital care, help with the cost of out-of-hospital care, and subsidised medicines. Further information on Medicare can be obtained from the Department of Human Services website.

    Australians have the option to take out additional private health insurance to pay for treatment as a private patient in private or public hospitals and provide services that Medicare does not cover, such as dental and optical care and ambulance transport. Further information can be obtained from the Government's Private Health website.

  • If SCU sponsors you for a Temporary Business Visa, you may be required to take out and maintain private health insurance for the duration of your appointment with SCU. If SCU sponsors you for a Permanent Resident Visa and your visa application is successful, you will become eligible to access health insurance benefits through the Medicare scheme.

  • Government in Australia

    Australia has three levels of government: Australian, State and Local. Each level of government has a parliament or a council of representatives democratically elected by the people. Each level of government has its own responsibilities. Further information:

  • Centrelink
  • Centrelink delivers government services to support those in need and help people to become self-sufficient. Information on the range of services available from Centrelink to help people who have recently moved to Australia can be obtained from the Department of Human Services website.

  • Education and Training

    The Australian education system offers education and training opportunities for all age groups and levels of ability. Further information is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

    State governments provides public primary and secondary schools in Australia. Generally speaking, public schooling is free but students holding temporary visas may be required to pay school fees. Further information is available on the NSW Public Schools website and the Queensland Government Education website.

    Private schooling opportunities are provided by churches and other groups within the community. Students attending private schools pay fees for their schooling. Further information is available from the Private Schools Directory website.

  • Quarantine

    As the Australian government has very strict policies in place regarding items and pets that can be brought into the country, it is important to consider these requirements before relocating to Australia.

    Further information on Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services is available from the Department of Agriculture website.

  • North Coast of NSW

    The North Coast is one of the most picturesque and popular destinations in New South Wales. Further information is available from the NSW Tourism website.

  • Gold Coast

    Queensland's Gold Coast is one of Australia's premier destinations. It is famous for its beaches and beautiful rainforest hinterland. Further information is available from the Tourism Queensland website.

Beginning a life in Australia

Refer to the Department of Social Services website for helpful information on beginning a life in Australia. The resources are provided in a range of different languages.