Disposal/trade of Computers
All computer equipment at SCU that is no longer in use must be traded or disposed. Computer equipment that is no longer in working order and cannot be traded must be disposed of in accordance with University procedures.
Computer equipment that is more than three years old and is out of warranty should be traded-in. Technology Services will not support out of warranty computers. Rolling over computers every three years decreases ongoing maintenance and the total cost of ownership to the University.
The Computer Workstation Policy states that, "Schools, Colleges and other organisational units wishing to purchase a new computer will normally be required to surrender (or trade-in) an old computer. All purchases that add to the University's base number of computers will require prior approval by the Director, Technology Services."
Staff need to Provide the following information to obtain an accurate estimate for the trade-in from the selected Recommended Supplier.
Processor Type & Speed:
Hard Disk Size:
Mouse & Keyboard:
# Technology Services can assist obtaining this information.
Trade-ins are only available from Shaws Office Supply for PC and NextByte for Macs. Dell do not provide trade-ins. When purchasing from Dell an existing computer (working or not) must be provided as a disposal unit.
- Select Recommended Supplier: Shaws - trade-in goes to Shaws; Dell - trade-in goes to Technology Services; Apple - trade-in goes to nextbyte.
- Collect the trade-in information, providing details of Make, Model, Serial Number and Asset Number and any relevant information. Provide the information listed above to your supplier when asking for quotes (for Shaws and Apple trades only). # Note - trade-in equipment must be in working order.
- Insert the details of the trade into the extra details section that is not printed on the purchase order, into the Ereq , including the valuation for each item. Enter the trade-in as the main item on the Ereq and enter a negative amount for each trade-in as this amount is taken off the total.
- Log a call with the Technology Services Lismore Service Desk on extension 7 3698 or Coffs 8 3080 to arrange installation of the new equipment.
- After the installation of new equipment, contact the Technology Services Service Desk on Ext 7 3698 or Coffs 8 3080 to arrange collection of the trade-ins to Technology Services by Facilities Services staff.
Technology Services will ensure all software licences and data is removed from the equipment prior to pickup from Recommended Supplier.
Old equipment deemed not fit for use due to age of the equipment, malfunction or too costly to repair, needs to be disposed of. Once equipment has been disposed of it cannot be re-used at SCU and a red sticker will be affixed to identify disposals. Disposals should be promptly picked up by Facilities Services staff.
- Write down the Asset Number (small grey sticker with barcode), Serial number and description of the equipment you wish to dispose.
- Email the Assets Department in Financial Services that the equipment is for disposal by supplying asset numbers, serial numbers and description from above (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Place a red disposal sticker, available from your Admin area, on the equipment. One sticker per item.
- Arrange pickup with maintenance to the storage location under the library by logging an Archibus request.
- Technology Services will erase all data or remove the hard disk drives from disposed computers before dumping.
Redundant equipment in the Technology Services storage facility under the Library will be disposed of every 3 months in accordance with Tender Board procedures by Facilities Services staff.
Please direct any inquires to: TS Service Desk
Updated: 20 September 2012