Skip to Content
SCU Future Students home page image

How to apply for cross-institutional study

What do I need to do when enrolling?

Step 1: Choose your units

Choose the unit/s you wish to study from the RUN provider university's web site.

See the list of RUN units of study.

Step 2: Check your unit's start and finish dates

Some universities operate on semesters while others are on trimesters so check the teaching calendar of the university teaching the unit/subject. This information is usually published within each university's Principal Dates.

Step 3: Communicate with your home university

Discuss your application with your home university including any consideration for prerequisites for the unit/s you wish to study.

Step 4: Any mandatory intensive schools?

Determine whether your chosen unit/s involve attending an intensive school.

Step 5: Assessment requirements

Determine how the unit is assessed. For example, is there an examination and where can you do this? In most cases and exam can be set up at your home university.

Step 6: Home university approval

Obtain a signature from your university approving your application. Download the cross-institutional study home institute approval form PDF

Step 7: Tick 'Yes' in the form!
  • In the application form, tick YES to the question: Is this request through the RUN program?
  • Please complete the application form.
  • Send the form to the Admissions Centre of the university delivering the course.
Step 8: Apply Online

Complete the online application and remember to attached attach your home university's approval.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I study SCU units if I am from another university?

Yes, SCU welcomes applications from students of other universities who want to study on a cross-institutional basis.
Some conditions of enrolment

  • You must have approval to study the specified SCU units from your home university.
  • If you are a student from a RUN university and intending to study units that have been approved. under this agreement, ensure you tick YES to the question: Is this request through the RUN program?
  • You will incur the appropriate SCU fees/HECS-HELP liabilities.
  • The usual enrolment deadlines will apply, and late enrolment requests may be declined.

SCU operates within sessions whereas some universities operate on semesters. Please remember to check the teaching calendar for the university teaching the unit/subject. This information is usually found within each university's listed principal dates.

Which universities are part of the RUN Agreement?

The foundation member universities are:

  • Central Queensland University
  • Federation University Australia
  • Southern Cross University
  • University of New England
  • University of Southern Queensland
  • University of the Sunshine Coast.

Which units can I study under the RUN Agreement?

The broad range of subjects include:

  • Languages
  • Theatre
  • Visual arts and design
  • Creative writing
  • Communications and media
  • Film and television
  • Music.

Please see the comprehensive list of units available for study as part of the Regional Universities Network.

Can I study units outside the RUN list of units?

Yes, with your 'home' university approval.

However your application will be considered under the University's standard admission rules and processes.
As with all cross-institutional study, if you select units that are not approved by your home university these units may not be considered towards your award at your home university.

Which is the home university and the host university?

The lists of available RUN units refers to:

  • Home University - the university that you have initially enrolled into for your course (e.g. BA).
  • Host University - the university that is teaching the RUN unit.