Cultural Diversity Training Program
A Cultural Diversity Training Program, incorporating the elements of cultural awareness, cultural sensitivity and cultural safety, is being offered across all three campuses, for all staff. The training includes a core component for all staff, with specific additional components for academic staff, allowing staff to gain a broader knowledge of diversity issues and discuss strategies for increasing sensitivity and awareness of diversity issues within the workplace and in the University's programs and activities and creating inclusive and culturally safe work environments.
The program has two aspects:
- A program offered to all staff to enhance their understanding of diversity, incorporating diversity awareness and sensitivity and cultural safety
- A program tailored towards academic staff to raise awareness about cross-cultural issues and provide academic staff with suggestions for good practice when working off-shore or on-shore with international students.
Half day training sessions for academic and professional staff will be held at Lismore, Coffs Harbour and Gold Coast Tweed Head Campuses at times to be advised.
For Further Information
Please contact Head,Equity and Diversity, Rachel Callahan on email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (02) 66269110.
Workshop: Courageous Conversations about Race
- This workshop is intended for any staff member whose work involves contact with students or staff members from different cultural backgrounds.
- Working with staff and students from different cultures is both rewarding and challenging. This workshop provides an opportunity to increase your skill in understanding working with and the provision of services to people from a range of cultural backgrounds. It will examine the concept of culture, coming to grips with a new culture, the impact of body language, and areas of misconception and why they might occur. It will explore the opportunities to reflect upon and practice strategies for communicating across cultures.
At the conclusion of the program, participants will:
- Communicate with increased sensitivity with people from different cultures
- Use effective cross-cultural communication techniques in the provision of services to students
- Recognise cultural differences in non-verbal language
- Provide better service as well as improve their job satisfaction
- Presentation of information
- Group discussion and opportunities to raise questions
- Interactive activities
- Case studies.
- 4 hours
Updated: 28 May 2013