Sexuality & Gender Diversity
Southern Cross University is committed to providing a work and learning environment free from harassment and discrimination which embraces and supports an understanding of and respect for diversity.
The University acknowledges and actively supports lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) staff and students.
The Equity & Diversity Office engages with LGBTI communities and external organisations on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex issues, particularly in relation to student and staff experience.
The Southern Cross University Enterprise Agreement includes "same sex partner" in its definition of family, for the purposes of an employee's leave entitlements.
We consider the Equity & Diversity Office and the University more broadly as a key stakeholder for ACON's work in the Northern Rivers and Coffs Harbour regions."
Marie Reilly, Regional Manager, ACON Northern Rivers
The Equity & Diversity Office offers Understanding Gender & Sexuality Diversity training for staff to enhance their understandings and abilities to work successfully with LGBTI colleagues and students.
LGBTI staff or students may contact Equity & Diversity Contacts, who have been trained in LGBTI awareness, to discuss any equity or discrimination matters they perceive or experience.
Each year, as part of the SCU Diversity Calendar, the University acknowledges the following important LGBTI events.
- International Day Against Homophobia & Transphobia (IDAHOT Day). A day to reflect on and draw attention to the violence and discrimination experienced by LGBTI people.
- Wear It Purple Day A day to show LGBTI young people that they are supported and respected.
For more information please contact Senior Equity & Diversity Officer Rob Cumings.
Safe Place Program
The University has developed a network of LGBTI Safe Places which aim to create a sense of safety, connection and inclusivity for LGBTI people. The Safe Place Program is a way the University visibly demonstrates that it is welcoming and supportive of members of the LGBTI community. Safe Places are located at:
- Student Hub, M Block, Coffs Harbour Education Campus
- SCU Library, E1 Block, Coffs Harbour Education Campus
- Student Counselling Service, F Block, Coffs Harbour Education Campus
- National Marine Science Centre, 2 Bay Drive, Charlesworth Bay, Coffs Harbour
- Student Hub, Level 1, Building A, Gold Coast Campus
- SCU Library, Level 4, Building A, Gold Coast Campus
- Equity & Diversity Office, Goodman Plaza, Lismore Campus
- Student Centre, X Block, Goodman Plaza, Lismore Campus
- SCU Learning Centre, Goodman Plaza, Lismore Campus
- SCU Law Students Society Room, L Block, L113, Lismore Campus
- LEXSA, Goodman Plaza, Lismore Campus
Information and ResourcesACON
Equity & Diversity Contacts
Equity & Diversity Plan
SCU Diversity Calendar
SCU Enterprise Agreement
Safe Place Program
2010 Youth Service / Gay & Lesbian Counselling Service of NSW