Early Childhood Education and Care Research Group (ECECRG)
The Early Childhood Education and Care ECEC Research Group, led by Dr Wendy Boyd, is a distinctive research collective looking at contemporary issues in ECEC. The group strives to promote, collaborate, advocate, celebrate and contribute to research in ECEC both nationally and internationally. The ECEC Research Group works closely with, and has strong synergies to the work of SCU's Centre for Children and Young People (CCYP) and the Sustainability, Environment & Education (SEE) Research Cluster. The group endeavours to increase the status of ECEC in Australia and engage with the community to advance ECEC regionally, nationally and internationally.
1. Provision of quality early childhood education and care
- teachers' and educators' work
- social justice and equity
- early childhood environmental education
- the arts
- in Australia and beyond
- from early childhood settings to primary school
- from home to early childhood settings
- within and between ECEC settings
3. Childhood studies
4. Children's learning, development, health and wellbeing across a range of settings.
- Dr Wendy Boyd (ECEC group leader)
- Tess Boyle
- Professor Amy Cutter-Mackenzie
- Dr Karen Hawkins
- Jubilee Smith
- Dr Jo Ailwood - University of Newcastle
- Dr Maryanne Theobald - Queensland University of Technology
- Professor Susan Walker - Queensland University of Technology
- Professor Julie Davis - Queensland University of Technology
- Dr Donnah Anderson - Centre for Children and Young PeopleSouthern Cross University
- Dr Sarah Farquhar - NZ Research in Early Childhood Education Journal
- Associate Professor Kym Macfarlane - Griffith University
- Ying Liu - Southern Cross University, visiting scholar from Normal Sichuan University, China
- Lynette Funnell - Southern Cross University
- Alicia Olsen - Southern Cross University
- Shannon Carter - Southern Cross University
- Shauna McIntyre - Southern Cross University
- Selena Koning - Southern Cross University
- Professor Amy Cutter-Mackenzie - Southern Cross University
- Professor Anne Graham - Southern Cross University
- Beth Mozolic-Staunton - Southern Cross University
Higher degree researchers
|Tess Boyle||PhD||Transition to school: Continuity of pedagogy|
Professor Susan Grieshaber, Dr Anne Petriwskyj
|Jubilee Smith||PhD||The influence of early childhood educator's attitudes and beliefs on practice and integration of Information Communication Teachnology (ICT).||Dr Wendy Boyd, |
Professor Bill Boyd
|Tarandeep Dhonsi||PhD||An in-depth examination of the term "school readiness" as a feasible concept and its dependence on other variables||Dr Wendy Boyd,|
Dr Suzanne Hudson
News and recent grant success
- School of Education Small Grants 2015: Dr Wendy Boyd and Dr Karen Hawkins Early Childhood Pre-service Teachers' Career Intentions.
- Project in progress with the Gold Coast Libraries- a report on 'How are the Gold Coast kids faring?'.
During Research Week 2017 Beth Mozolic-Staunton, MSOTR/L Course Coordinator and Lecturer in Occupational Therapy at Southern Cross University presented on behalf of the Early Childhood Education and Care Research Group on: Right Kids, Right Time, Right Services: Translating research to practice in early detection of developmental challenges in early childhood education settings
This community presentation discusses evidence-based strategies that can be used by early childhood education professionals to accurately and efficiently identify children who are showing early signs of autism spectrum disorder and would benefit from extra support and early intervention.
Alicia Olsen presented for the group during Research Week on: Exceeding the National Quality Standard in Long Day Care settings: A behind the scenes study of the hidden work of educators in high quality services
The Cool Cubby Report by Wendy Boyd
Ailwood, J., Boyd, W., & Theobald, M. (eds.) (2016). Understanding early childhood education and care in Australia, Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
Boyd, W. (2016). Playing cool: the sustainable Cool Cubby. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 41(3), 29-37
Boyd, W. (2015). The tensions between food choices, and sustainable practices in early childhood centres. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 40(4), 58-65
Boyd, W., & Cutcher, L. (2015). Learning from early childhood philosophy, theory and pedagogy: Inspiring effective art education. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 40(1), 91-99.
Boyd, W. (2014). Parents' choices of child care in Australia. NZ Research in Early Childhood Education Journal, 17, 51-69.
Dang, P. T. & Boyd, W. (2014). Renovating early childhood education pedagogy: A case study in Vietnam. International Journal of Early Years Education. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09669760.2014.909306
Miller, M, Davis, J., Boyd, W., & Danby, S. (2014) Learning about and taking action for the environment: Experiences of children and teachers who participated in a preschool water education program. Children, Youth and Environments, 24(3), 43-57. DOI: 10.7721/chilyoutenvi.24.3.0043
Cutter-Mackenzie, A., Edwards, S., Moore, D., & Boyd, W. (2014). Young children's play and environmental education in early childhood education. The Netherlands: Springer.
Connecting with ECECRG
If you're interested in working with the ECEC Research Group or require further information please contact Dr Wendy Boyd.