Community Seminar Series
The Community Seminar Series is held annually, hosted by Southern Cross University's School of Arts and Social Sciences and the SCU Community Reference Group. It aims to support practitioners and managers in developing and evaluating innovative solutions to challenging problems. Workers in the fields of human services, social welfare and social work will especially benefit from these friendly and informative talks, starting in a late afternoon time slot - perfect for enjoying stimulating debate and refreshments while networking with friends and colleagues.
Navigating the Social Dimensions of the Commonwealth Games
The Commonwealth Games is coming to the Gold Coast in April 2018. This year our community seminar series explores the implications of the Games for social and emotional wellbeing, particularly in terms of community services responses. The seminars will be an opportunity to share knowledge about past experiences of hosting major sporting events. The aim is to assist local community services plan for issues that may arise and explore opportunities the Games may bring in promoting health and wellbeing. We are particularly interested in the implications of the Games for people in need and how the Games may contribute to building community resilience.
2017 Seminar topics
Thursday, 17 August: Social and Emotional Dimensions of being a Child Athlete
- the GC 2018 Legacy Program: overview of the legacy pillars including 'building active, engaged and inclusive communities'
- social implications of major sporting events
- social and emotional aspects of being a child athlete
Thursday, 5 October: Impact of the Games on Housing
- Implications for the housing sector
- Planning for housing needs
- Innovative responses to accommodation issues
Thursday, 9 November: Representations of Ability and Disability in Sport
- Debates about representations of the body in sport
- Inspiring people through sport - implications for the NDIS
- Rights-based and consumer-led responses
Time: 4pm - 7pm Qld time
Please note: For the 5 October and 9 November seminars, this translates to 5pm - 8pm NSW daylight savings time.
Southern Cross University
Gold Coast campus
Southern Cross Drive (Access via Terminal Drive, Gold Coast Airport)
- Parking on campus is free
- Refreshments are supplied
- Each seminar is free to attend
- Please register for catering purposes