Leave to attend an examination
- Examination leave during other periods of leave
1. The University provides support for employees who wish to undertake formal study programs that are relevant to their current or planned work responsibilities and as part of this support, paid leave is available to enable employees to sit for examinations associated with approved courses of study.
2. Casual employees are not eligible for leave to attend an examination.
3. For the purpose of granting leave to attend an examination "Formal Study Program" refers to a post-secondary course leading to the award of a recognised credential at or above the level of a certificate.
4. Academic employees may be eligible for examination leave providing their study program is approved by the relevant Executive Member. Professional employees with an appointment term of twelve months or more who are undertaking an approved formal study program are eligible for examination leave.
5. Where the examination is scheduled on an afternoon, examination leave is available for the time required to complete the examination and may also be granted for the morning before the examination. Likewise, for an evening examination, leave may also be granted on the afternoon before the examination. Where the examination is scheduled on a morning, examination leave will be limited to that necessary to complete the examination.
6. Refer to HR Delegations for the delegations relating to examination leave.
Examination leave during other periods of leave
7. Examination leave will not be granted when an employee is absent on a period of approved paid or unpaid leave.
8. Employees wishing to take examination leave should discuss their examination commitments with their supervisor, giving prior notice of the dates and times that they will be requiring examination leave.
9. A leave application is to completed in MyHR by the employee prior to the taking of examination leave and submitted to the supervisor together with the time and details of the examination the employee will be attending.
10. When the leave has been approved, the employee will receive an automatically generated confirmation email.
11. Professional employees are required to reflect the period of their leave on their attendance record.
12. Where applicable, payment of allowances will cease during the period of leave.
Updated: 06 November 2013