- Additional annual leave in lieu of leave loading
- Payment of leave loading on cessation
1. These provisions apply where employment is governed by the University's current Enterprise Agreement. Leave loading provisions under other industrial instruments may differ.
2. Casual employees are not entitled to a leave loading payment.
3. An employee is entitled to receive an annual leave loading payment assessed on leave accrued during the twelve month period between 1 January and 31 December each year.
4. Where an employee has served less than a full twelve months, a pro-rata entitlement for the period of completed service (assessed on working days) is payable.
5. Employees who have part-time appointments are eligible for annual leave loading on a pro-rata basis.
6. Leave loading payment is based on 17.5% of four weeks ordinary salary, except that the loading payment for seven day continuous shift workers will be based on 17.5% of five weeks ordinary salary.
7. Leave loading is paid as a lump sum payment on the first payday in December each year. However, where an employee is in receipt of an annualised allowance in lieu of shift penalties, they will continue to be paid that allowance during any periods of annual leave instead of receiving the standard leave loading entitlement as a lump sum payment in December where the allowance for the leave period is equal to or greater than the leave loading payment.
8. The maximum payment for a professional employee's annual leave loading is based on the maximum salary for a Higher Education Worker Level 10. The maximum payment for an academic employee's annual leave loading is based on the maximum salary for an academic Level B Year 6.
9. Where an employee's entitlement to annual leave loading, based on 17.5% of four weeks salary, is less than the maximum payment as calculated in paragraph 8, the lesser amount is payable.
10. Annual leave loading is based on the employee's salary as at the first payday in December and will be paid up to the maximum payments specified in paragraph 8.
11. An additional responsibilities allowance or relieving allowance will only be regarded as salary for assessing payment of leave loading when the allowance has been received continuously for a period of twelve months.
12. First aid allowance will be regarded as salary for assessing leave loading payments.
Additional annual leave in lieu of leave loading
13. As an alternative to receiving payment of leave loading, and where their annual leave accrual does not exceed the maximum accrual of eight weeks at the time of application, employees may elect to receive additional annual leave. A full-time employee will receive an additional three and one half days annual leave and a part-time employee will receive a pro-rata entitlement. The three and one half days are non-cumulative and must be taken during December of the year in which they are received. However, depending on the circumstances and work unit requirements, the Head of Work Unit may agree to the leave being cleared prior to the end of January in the following year.
- In return for receiving the additional leave, employees will forfeit their entitlement to the payment of annual leave loading, or annualised allowance in lieu of shift penalties as the case may be, in that year and leave loading payments or shift penalties will cease.
- Employees wishing to take up the option of additional leave in lieu of annual leave loading must submit a written application to HR Services by the end of October of the year in which the option is to occur specifying the dates on which the leave is to be taken.
Payment of leave loading on cessation
14. Where an employee's employment is terminated for any reason other than misconduct, the employee will be entitled to a pro-rata leave loading payment calculated on the basis of working days of service from the preceding 1st January (or commencement date, which ever is the later) to the date of resignation.
15. Leave loading payments are initiated in HR Services.
16. Where an employee elects to receive additional leave as an alternative to receiving leave loading, the following procedure applies:
- The employee completes an Annual Leave in Lieu of Leave Loading Application and refers it to their Head of Work Unit for approval. The request will be subject to eligibility being confirmed and relevant leave entitlement being established by HR Services;
- HR Services must receive the application by the end of February in the year the option is effective;
- After establishing the employee's eligibility and relevant leave entitlement, HR Services will inform the employee and record the details in Aurion; and
- When the leave is actually taken, professional employees are required to reflect the period of their leave on their attendance record.
Updated: 06 November 2013