23rd Australasian Conference on the
Mechanics of Structures and Materials
Byron Bay, Australia
9-12 December 2014
Southern Cross University
Final Program and Last Updates
The Final Conference Program is available for your information. Presenters are to pay particular attention to their presentation session(s) in the Final Program because there have been some changes from the Draft Program.
If you are a presenter or session chair, kindly check your schedule as there have been some changes since the Draft Programme was issued last week. Note that the time allocation per general paper presentation slot is 15 minutes (this is 12 minutes of presentation followed by 3 minutes of Question and Answer and change-over time) - presentations will need to be provided as early as possible and we ask that you upload your presentation(s) onto the laptop in the appropriate presentation room at least one session in advance and there will be technicians on hand to assist. Please find attached the Presenter's biography form for you to complete and submit to your Session Chair prior to the commencement of your session. This form will also be available at the conference venues.
Also, kindly note that the Opening Ceremony will commence at 8.45am on Wednesday 10 December at the Byron at Byron Resort and Spa.
Some additional conference related information as follows.
- Post Conference Tour - We will have limited administration facilities at the conference to handle registration for the post-conference tour and if you intend on coming, it would be best to register online now. Registration for the post-conference tour will close during the conference this Thursday.
- Delegates wishing to dine at the Byron at Byron Resort and Spa for a non-conference scheduled activity will need to make a regular booking with the resort beforehand in order to guarantee a table on the day. View details of The Restaurant. In addition, some dining options in and around Byron Bay [pdf] are attached for your information - there are certainly more options available.
- The Byron at Byron Resort and Spa will set up a cash bar from time to time for evening refreshments during the conference for your convenience.
Posted 8 December 2014
Draft Program and Presentation Details
Please download the Draft Program. Presenters and Session Chairs are asked to kindly take note of their allocated slots and to please email any problems/comments to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon Saturday 29th November 2014. Comments received after this time will not be included in the print version of the program.
Owing to the large number of papers to be presented at the conference, each presentation slot is allocated 15 minutes. That translates to 12 minutes of presentation time followed by 3 minutes of discussion. It is important that speakers (and session Chairs) adhere to the time limit - presenters should therefore be mindful of what they can realistically present in 12 minutes. A rough rule of thumb is one slide per minute - this is of course just a guide.
Information for Presenters
There is no presentation template for the conference and .ppt is the preferred form of visual support. In addition, speakers will be requested to upload their presentation onto the laptop in the appropriate session room at least one session prior to their presentation. The uploading of presentations immediately prior the delivery of the presentation will not be allowed.
Speaker biographical forms will be available at the conference registration desk to complete and submit to the appropriate Session Chair prior to the session commencement. Speakers are to introduce themselves to the Session Chair prior to the commencement of the session.
Information for Session Chairs
Session Chairs serve several important duties, namely:
- Ensure strict adherence to presentation time limits,
- Announce relevant speaker autobiographical information prior to each presentation,
- Facilitate Questions & Answers. If there are no questions from the audience then the Chair is expected to ask a relevant question, and
- In the case of "no shows" (i.e. presenter is not in attendance to deliver a scheduled presentation), the Chair is to facilitate a discussion on a topic relevant to the theme of the session or some other topic that the Chair and audience mutually agreed upon. The discussion takes place during the time allocated for the no show presentation. Presentations are not to be moved forward in the case of no shows - it is important that delegates are able to move freely between presentation rooms and attend presentations at their scheduled times.
Posted 27 November 2014
Due to the overwhelming response to the ACMSM23 2014 conference, registrations are now closed. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact Professor Scott Smith on email@example.com.
Registrations for the Post Conference Tour and Industry Day are still available.
Posted 30 October 2014
Deadline for Speaker Registration: Monday 3 November 2014
The deadline for speakers to register is Monday 3 November. Delegates not intending to present their paper(s) at the conference are still welcome to register after 3 November.
Posted 29 October 2014
Banquet is full. Registration only open for conference.
Register online via the registration page.
Posted 27 October 2014
Early Bird Registration closes 29 September 2014.
Register online via the registration page.
Posted 22 September 2014
The online registration facility is now active and can be accessed from the registration page. Early Bird Registration closes 29 September 2014.
Posted 5 August 2014
Please book your accommodation at your earliest convenience. Refer to the accommodation options we have listed. Note that Byron Bay is a popular summer holiday destination so accommodation is in demand.
Posted 5 August 2014
Paper deadline extended to end June 2014
Please note that the deadline for submission of papers has been extended to the end of June. Paper writing details can be found here: scu.edu.au/acmsm23/index.php/15/. Note that the Copyright Transfer Agreement form will be uploaded onto the conference website during the paper review process. Authors will be requested to complete and submit this form with the Camera Ready versions of the papers (by mid-August).
Posted 16 June 2014
Accepted Abstracts and Paper Writing Guidelines
Over 200 abstracts have been accepted into ACMSM23. The list of accepted abstracts and paper writing guidelines can be found in the Accepted Abstracts and Writing Guidelines page of this website. Please report any discrepancies to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted 19 March 2014
Second Announcement and Call for Papers + Abstract Deadline Extended
Please submit your Abstracts using the Abstract Template by 8 March 2014.
Posted 17 February 2014
Please submit your abstract using the Abstract Template.
Posted 18 December 2013
First Announcement and Call for Papers
Abstracts are invited to be submitted to ACMSM23 by 15 February 2014.
Posted 1 November 2013
Updated: 12 January 2016